Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2013

Valentine's day Orange-Chocolate-Candies

Today I made some sweets for tomorrow (late I know..). Pralines filled with a creamy soft ganache.

homemade chocolate candies filled with creamy ganache. edges not trimmed yet

For these pralines or chocolate candies you need some equipment - for professionals I guess. I am going to make some truffles too, the ganache is resting until tomorrow morning, kind of easier to make, but today it was the elaborate stuff.
  • 350 g couverture (semi-sweet) devided in 200 g and 150 g
  • 1/4 candied orange peel from 1 bitter orange
  • 2 tablespoons bitter orange marmalade without peel pieces
  • 40 g salted butter (with salt flakes)
  •  200 ml cream
  • some candied orange peel for decoration

First I chopped the couverture, 200 g semi-bitter chocolate, yes it has to be couverture and not the common chocolate bars.
Chopped couverture

Then I minced 1 quarter candied bitter orange peel from 1 orange.
Minced candied orange peel

I heated up 200 ml sterialized cream (for whipped cream) until lukewarm,
added the chopped chocolate and let it melt on very small heat - lowest heating level of my induction stove, I stirred it once in a while with a silicone spatule.. For other stoves use a bain marie, the chocolate mix should reach the temperature of 32-36 degree celsius not more, think bloodwarm!
I stirred in the minced orange peel and 2 tablespoons orange marmalade (without bits of fruits) and 40 g salted butter (butter from france with salt flakes).
Ganache
This was the ganache, a filling which is very soft and quickly creamy at room temperature even after cooling.

To make some sweets not eaten by spoon we need something to keep the ganache in shape. Therefore
I chopped 150 g couverture and melted it.
With a silicone brush I brushed a silicone mould for chocolate candies (bargain, I bought it once at a 1 Euro store) until the insides of the small moulds were completely covered with chocolate and stored the mould outside. We have some degree Celsius under 0 at the moment, so the chocolate layers got firm in an instant.
Mould for chocolate candies
When the chocolate layers in the tiny moulds were firm, I filled in the ganache, smoothed the surface with a spatule, and let the mould sit outside until the surface of the ganache became a little firmer

I brushed the surface of the ganache with melted chocolate to cover it completely with a stiff layer of chocolate afterwards. I put it back again outside. Very convenient - no fridge in need.
Ganache covered with a chocolate layer
1 hour later the chocolate candies were ready.
I removed them from their tiny moulds, cut the edges clean and put a small heart shaped piece of candied orange peel on top.  Unmoulding: just push the bottom of the mould to the top and the candy will popp out.
Unmouded






Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Yeah, it is elaborate stuff! I want to see a cross section (laugh).

I'm thinking of using natsumikan peels to make some confection, but not as elaborate as yours!

Sissi hat gesagt…

Very cute hearts! And you have immediately used the candied peel. What a coincidence!
I also have chocolate moulds but have never used them...