Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2013

Valentine's day: Classic truffles - the easy way out


I had some ganache left and added more melted couverture and the fruity peel parts of the orange marmalade I had left over from making chocolate candies. I just had to slowly melt the very soft ganache again.
For truffles the ratio chocolate : cream is different: nearly 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream or you will face problems while shaping nice little balls. I simply weight the leftover ganache and added 80 g chocolate.
After 2 h cooling, the ganache was firm but slicky. I formed balls with my hands with the help of a teaspoon and afterwards just tossed and rolled the balls in cocoa powder - cocoa without any sugar. Could have dipped them in melted couverture too but I like plain cocoa powder. The reason: truffles just look like real tuffles, those soil covered uneven potato shaped mushooms.
For truffle ganache from scratch
  • 450 g chocolate (couverture)
  • 250 g cream 
  • and whatever comes into your mind to pimp up the ganache: vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, pepper, ginger, chilies, rum, wiskey, cherry brandy, chopped liquer soaked plums or cranberries, candied fruits, chopped caramelized nuts and and and - even peanutbutter but think about the chocolate ratio and not necessarily everything mentioned above together.
I decided on candied oranges and slow cooked orange marmalade peels and salted butter - flavors enough.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Truffles! We like them, especially my daughter! Even cheap ones from Bourbon (confectionery manufacturer) are good enough, and I bet yours taste exceptional!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

My husband likes them very much too and said they are even better then the heart shaped filled candies - could have spared me some work, if I had knewn this before (laugh). I had one piece (on diet).

Sissi hat gesagt…

I could eat ganache with spoons so ganache truffles are among my favourite mini-chocolate treats. Yours look soft and very chocolatey. This is all they need to be perfect.