Freitag, 1. Februar 2013

Texmex: Chicken Wraps (softshell Tacos)



This evening husband planned to work on his American oldsmobile car together with his friend: Two big guys doing manly things (carburetor problems to be solved) in the garage. 
Therefore I decided to prepare something warm and filling for the boys, because it is rather nasty cold outside.
Texmex-Food was it, somehow fits the car I think. There must be billions and billions of recipes in the internet about what to do and fill into wheat tortillas. So, this is nothing special, just a little soul food and husband loves Texmex, he could eat it all the time, here we are:
One peek into the cassarole - 2 wraps out of 4
 I bought wheat tortillas (mexican wheat flour flatbreads) and made a stuffing:
300 g chicken breasts, without skin and bones, cubed
1 cup green runner beans, cut into short piece (bought frozen)
½ cup young corn cobs, cut into short rounds (tiny little cobs bought frozen)
1 small can kidney beans
1 small can sweet corn
1 red bell pepper, roughly dices
1 green bell pepper, roughly diced
1 celery stalk, sliced
1 big onion, chopped
1 garlic glove, minced
1 small can tomatoe chunks
2 tablespoons white cheese
1 small ball mozzarella cheese
1 ½ tablespoon hot Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon smoked chili powder
1 pinch allspice
1 pinch cinnamon
1 tablespoon flour
1 very good pinch dried herbs:  oregano, l’herbs de provence
Salt
Soy sauce
Oil
I powdered the chicken cubes with Cajun seasoning and flour and fried them in a huge pan in a little oil until golden. I put them aside and fried the vegetables for a short time until the onions became translucent. I added the meat and canned beans, tomato chunks, spices, herbs and salt, covered the pan by a lit and let this simmer until the vegetables were tender, turned on the heat and let the juices reduce a bit. It is a filling and therefore should not be that runny.
I stirred in the fresh cheese and adjusted the seasoning: added a little soy sauce, chili.
I rolled the filling in the flatbreads (wraps) and layered the rolls in a casserole dish.  I covered the rolls with remaining filling topped with slices of the mozzarella cheese and baked this in the oven at 180 degree Celsius until the cheese layer turned golden crisp. To be served piping hot.

Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

I try not to buy tortillas unless I have guests. Otherwise I am able to eat them until I finish the package, filling them with whatever I find (I like to spread sour cream inside). Your baked version with chicken and mozzarella is an excellent idea.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Thankfully all tortillas are gone. I like tortillas deep fried. Ever tried this: Fry Tortilla in a pan with a good amount of oil until crisp, blown up and golden, sprinkle salt and spices as chili powder, ground cumin, ground fennugreek seeds. Break into pieces and dip into Guacamole or sour cream - so so bad...

Sissi hat gesagt…

I shouldn't have read your description ;-) Now all I want to do is buy tortillas and do this...