Mittwoch, 20. Februar 2013

Quince-Tonkabean Soft Fudge



The last sweet entry for a while, I promise! 
Fudge
I had some cream left, therfore this evening I cooked fudge.
Fudge-making the tradional way is not that easy, so don't be disappointed if it will not come out as planned.  Mine was also not that perfect as hoped for.
You need time and a good sugar thermometer. My sugar thermometer is very old school and after listening to some rude language along the way, Husband decided to buy me a digital one the next days.
For this fudge you need:
100 ml cream
150 ml milk
80 g salted butter
400 g sugar
2 tablespoons currants
50 ml quince gin
Small pinch, just a few crumbs, finely grated Tonka bean

Heat up sugar, milk, cream, Tonka bean and butter in a heavy deep sauce pan until boiling up, reduce heat to medium low and simmer while stirring about 8-10 minutes –from time to time measure the temperature, when the temperature reaches 115.5 degree Celsius, lower the heat to small and stir, try to stop the  temperature from falling under 110 degree Celsius and keep 110 degree Celsius– maybe you have to adjust the heat. Beat until the fudge is thick, creamy and golden about another 8 minutes, really beat it with a wooden spoon, but be careful not the touch the hot stuff. 
Meanwhile let some friendly soul heat up the currants in the microwave at 900W for 30 seconds.  Stir the hot currants (without liquid) into the fudge. Beat another minute and fill fudge into a small rectangle baking tin layered with parchment paper:

Let cool down and cut into cubes.
If too muddy after cooling, you did not reach the 115.5 C and if the mouthfeeling is sandy/grainy you overdid it (over 115.5), when too firm you have beaten it too long. Sometimes it can be fixed due to heating it up again, crumbled with 1 cup water added and following the same procedure: higher heat, lower heat- but no garanties.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

You don't have to promise, Kiki! I hope you write more posts about your confection making! I have learned a lot from your posts so far, and I'd like to learn more.

Inspired by your treacle, I made kuro mitsu yesterday, using a simple recipe (mix kuro zato, sugar, and water at a ratio of 1:1:1).

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

It is not that I will never post anything about making sweets again, but I have to stop making sweets for now - or we will gain more weight quickly. I am no good with dieting.
Did you use brown demara sugar for
kuromitsu?

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

No, just as I said, kuro zato, sugar, and water only.

I posted about my kuromitsu an hour ago.

Sissi hat gesagt…

If I haven't been able to make florentins, I will not even try fudge ;-) Seriously I love fudge and yours look so chewy and delicious...