Samstag, 9. Februar 2013

Preparing orange marmalade: second day

This is the continuation from the entry Preparing orange marmalade: first day

To finish the preparation - here is just one bite of the result-

Orange marmalade
 there are a few more steps to follow:
  • Boiling the base for 50 minutes up to 1 hour, depending on the thickness of the slices, until the peels are translucent
  • Removing the bag and squeezing in the pectin
  • Boiling down with sugar until the perfect marmalade stage is reached: some like it more runny some wobbly firm.
So here we are:
After one night of soaking I put the pot on the oven and brought it to a quick and vivid boil.
I reduced the heat to medium high and simmered juice and peels for about 50 minutes until the white parts of the orange peels became translucent. From time to time I pressed the bag with the pips and pulp to the bottom of the pot.

I removed the bag from the pot, put it into a sieve and pressed it's juices back into the pot, while using lots of pressure and force - good for the muscles of my upper arms.
2 kg sugar were added to the pot and stirred well.
I had to split the marmalade into two equal amounts to finish the marmalade cooking process because the first pot was nearly filled to the rim.

 

Then I started to boil down both amounts until the bubbly syrupy stage was reached. This will take some time:30 minutes!
Due to the boiling the volumes were reduced to 2 liters each, so I filled one part back to the other and finished cooking in one pot. From time to time I stirred and also removed any froth and foam from the surface.

After 15 minutes I started the testing of the marmalade - gave a few drops of the syrup on a cold plate and watched wether the liquid was still very runny or running very slow. Gave it 10 minutes more and it was finished. Last step:
Meanwhile I prepared the cleaned jars (washed in very hot water and drained) and filled the marmalade into 9 jars, sealed them with a lit and turned them over.


After all these testing of the sweet stuff I was craveing for something salty:
Prepared me a roastbeef sandwich with horseradish, black currant jam and pickled gerkins.




Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for your second post!

I have some questions:
How much do 12 sevilles oranges weight in total? What is the oranges-to-sugar ratio? Are lemons necessary?

I received about 20 natsumikan from my father today, as well as about 20 grapefruits. I think I'll use some of them to make marmalade.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I took bigger Seville oranges, weight of each about 170 g. The sugar ratio is not exactly to be messured:
3.5 liters water, 2 kg sugar, peel weight about 750 g, juice about 800 ml, but the exact weight of peels and juices I don't know. And there is the cooking pocess which reduces the water-juice content, result 3.5 kg marmalade. Looking at a commercial product the ratio should be 1:4 about 25 g oranges : 100 g sugar. Lemons provide a lot of additional pectin more than oranges. That is the only reason why there are lemons.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for your quick answers.

I'm a bit surprised at the small size of the oranges. I measured the five natsumikan I selected to make marmalade, and they were 290-430 g, 1,660 g in total.

Thanks for your confirmation about the lemons. I will skip them partly because only imported ones are sold around this time of year.

Sissi hat gesagt…

I am impressed to see you make the real, laborious marmalade. Personally I have only made the "cheated" one which I would rather call jam. Yours looks just perfect.
I love Seville oranges but still haven't seen them in the organic shop where I usually buy them...
The blackcurrant jam look so surprising in your sandwich! I must try this unusual mixture one day.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi it is less hard work as one may think, thanks to the equipment. But it takes time.
Blackcurrant goes very well with horseradish, as well as with all kinds of meat.
One rather unusual treat I have made quite often: Baked eel pâté (smoked eel),cooled down and covered with a layer of blackcurrant jelly.

It looks a little bit disgusting (laugh), the sandwich seems to bleed a lot...

Sissi hat gesagt…

I have been dreaming of smoked eel for years... I suppose it is another food product to add to my tasting list for Germany! The pâté sounds like heaven to me.