Freitag, 22. Februar 2013

Milk Kanten Jelly and faked black sugar syrup

I didn't want to make something sweet again but I could not resist - I am weak...
Hiroyuki kindly introduced milk mochi with Kinako (ground sweetened soy beans) and black sugar syrup.
That reminded me on milk jelly, a fabulous lean japanese dessert, which I really like a lot especially with strawberries and strawberry syrup. So I made it today because I was so thrilled about the combination of milk pudding, toasted soy beans and black sugar syrup. I thought it would fit perfectly.

For milk jelly you need skimmed milk or mix whole milk with water (50:50).
500 ml skimmed milk (low fat of course)
1 teaspoon agar-agar (kanten)
1 tablespoon sugar

Boil milk until it rises, whisk in agar-agar powder and sugar, simmer on lower heat about 1 minute and fill in silicone "pudding" moulds (moulds best to be rinsed with cold water just before filling). I made enough jelly for 6 small moulds. It is really lean and nearly without calories, if the sugar is replaced by stevia powder. I always call it the Panacotta for fashion models... It can be spiced up with vanilla which is very nice with strawberries or you may simmer the milk with black tea and yogi tea spices as cardamom, cinnamon or add espresso, different tastes to your liking - but not with the following:

For the Kinako:
1/2 cup soy beans (dried not fresh beans)
1 tablespoon sugar

I toasted the soy beans in a heavy castiron pan until golden and fragrant (think roasting coffee beans, the soy beans should be moved by tossing and rolling around in the pan while roasting to toast the beans evenly and to prevent burn marks). This will only take a few minutes. Ground the hot beans together with 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a blender.

For black sugar syrup I had to improvise: I simmered brown sugar and water (50:50) until the sugar has been desolved and a thin syrup formed, added not the same but the half amount of thick treacle. I was quite sure I had muscovado (black sugar) in storage but did'nt found any, so I could not prepare the "real" black sugar syrup as Hiroyuki did. Guess Husband used the muscovado up for something as for his liquer making or cocktails. So I don't know if my fake syrup tastes the same as the real black sugar syrup or not, but it did taste very good.


Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

It looks fantastic! I use kanten (agar) all the time to make desserts. I don't know if you remember but i have posted several different set desserts based on half milk and half coconut milk (matcha, coffee, chocolate, or "nature" with fruits... I even now have two portions in the fridge; it's light and so good...).
I have never tasted kinako. It sounds very intriguing.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Was I surprised! You are very quick!

So, is milk jelly (not milk kanten jelly) popular in Germany?
In Japan, milk kanten jelly, usually called gyunyu kan, is quite popular.
My recipe is here:
http://hiro-shio.blogspot.jp/2009/02/gyunyu-kan.html

It's quite surprising that you made kinako from scratch! It must be at least ten times as tasty as store-bought!

Kinako milk (milk + kinako + sugar) is a good substitute for cacao drink, and kinako + sugar + a bit of milk is a good subsitute for peanut butter, in my opinion.

Yours (water + brown sugar + treacle) sounds like good kuromitsu. Mine is not real kuromitsu, either, because the kuro zato I bought at a 100-yen shop was not pure but contained other ingredients. However, my daughter said it was very good.

My daughter had the rest of the milk mochi all by herself, with some kinako and a generous amount of kuromitsu.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: I like the coconutmilk based jellies too - so delicious with exotic fruits as mango.

Hiroyuki: I was so quick because I had everything in storage (laugh).
Milk jellies are known but most of them call for gelatine not agar-agar. For example Almond-Milk Jelly is famous. Jellies went a little bit out of fashion but came back.

I never had store bought Kinako so I cannot tell the difference. I learned about Kinako at a Wagashi cooking class in our japanese friendship center. But freshly toasted seeds or nuts always taste better, more flavor. I am very happy about my cheap little electric coffee mill. I don't use it for coffee beans but to grind nuts, seeds and spices as happened with the soy beans. Very convenient.