Freitag, 25. Januar 2013

Spicy rice bowl with dried tofu and mushrooms



Today I visited the asian food market again. I found something new: spiced freeze dried tofu strips. Sorry I don't know the name of the product because it is written in chinese. But interesting…had to buy it.
And this is what I cooked:
 
Rice with carrot, mushrooms and tofu strips garnished with spring onion and pickled ginger (lots, I am addicted to pickled ginger). The tofu was heavenly chewy and reminded me on thick udon noodles and the spicyness was just right:
 

How to:
Round #1
Cut 1 carrot into match sticks
Heat up:
200 ml dashi stock (water and 1 small pack instant dashi powder)
60 ml soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
Boil the carrot sticks in the stock on high heat until just done (with a small bite). Remove carrot sticks with a slotted spoon and keep in a bowl.

Round #2
Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and another tablespoon sugar to the reminding stock (some will be gone) and boil 150 g mixed mushrooms until done and the stock is reduced to half.
Remove mushrooms with a slotted spoon and add to the carrot sticks.

Round #3
Add ½ cup water and 1/3 cup sake to the stock. Add 150 g tofu strips and simmer until the stock is almost gone and only a dark  syrup is left.
Add tofu and syrup to the carrots and mushrooms and stir. Smells wonderful...

Meanwhile cut 1 spring onion into nice stripes, cook rice out of 1 cup uncooked rice.
Serve rice topped with the mixture and garnished with spring onion, ginger.









Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

>spiced freeze dried tofu strips

Quite interesting. I've never seen such products, either!

So, you are addicted to pickled ginger ("gari")? I prefer another type, beni shoga.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I did a little research later on: Those strips were made from pressed Tofu. Really good. They sell them unspiced too.

Beni shoga is not available around here. Never had it.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

No beni shoga?! That's too bad! My gyudon (beef bowl) can never be complete without beni shoga! In fact, it's more like beni shoga don than gyudon (laugh)!

Sissi hat gesagt…

I have never had this type of tofu, but as a big tofu fan I will look for it. It looks really good (I like chewy consistency a lot).