Freitag, 18. Januar 2013

Rose fish with mushroom crust

Today I bought rose fish and tried a new recipe (more or less) I found in the german foodies magazine Essen&Trinken beforehand.
Fish fillet with a crust made of breadcrumbs, chopped mushrooms and an asian spice mix.
I served it together with quick pickled daikon and pasta with rucola and fish roe. The flavour of mushrooms and fish blend together fantastic. Never thought it would taste that nice. We will have this dish more often from now on for sure. The crust kept the fish very juicy. Delicious.
juicy fish with aromatic crust
For the fish:
350 g rosefish or sea bass, cod, trimmed fillets
1 slice aged white bread put to fine crumbs / or panko flakes
1 handful mixed firm fleshed forest mushrooms / or shiitake
1 small shallot, minced
1 small teaspoon ginger root, grinded
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 pinch black pepper (fresh)
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt
50 g butter
1 dash oil
recipe called for some cilantro greens too. Husband hates cilantro. I took a 1 tablespoon chopped parsley and a little thyme.

Heat a pan and melt butter, add chopped mushrooms, parsley, thyme and shallot,  give it a quick heat and let the liquids evaporate. Mix in the bread crumbs, soy sauce, pepper.
Take a sheet of aluminium foil and make two flat rectangle layers of this mixture butter included: size according the fish fillets  (more or less). Just fold one part of the foil over and flatten the rectangle spreads to make them equal. Store this in the freezer until firm. I stored it outdoor: -6 Degrees Celsius worked wonder in no time, firm frozen in 10 minutes.

Sprinkle salt and lemon juice over the fish. Heat a little oil in the pan and fry the fish on both sides for just a minute. Place on top of each fish one layer crust mix and put the pan under the preheated grill for 5 minutes.
Start to prepare the Pasta early aside. I always cook whatever comes into my mind just looking into my fridge or shelves. Recipes are helpful - sometimes - but I never follow them from a to z - guess I am not the only one. This dish is a crossover from several recipes I cooked before or read about. But believe me, it is good, change it as you like. There is one thing - kumquats. I used kumquat because a kumquat adds a lovely slightly bitter fullfledged orangy flavour but it is not that tangy at all, so there is a mix of citrus flavours (orange-lemon) in this dish. Whenever kumquats are in season I like to use this small tiny oranges in my kitchen.  For example they are incredible good in a red wine sauce for duck breasts.

150 g noodles (Spaghetti)
150 g rucola (salad rocket, arugola), washed and drained very well
1 Kumquat orange, finely diced, with juice
1/2 lemon, juice and zest
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin
1 teaspoon sugar
good pinch chilli flakes
some drops sesame oil (toasted)
2 heaped tablespoons cod roe and additional 1 teaspoon for each plate
salt to taste

Boil noodles and sieve. Stir zestes, minced orange, juices, soy sauce, mirin, sugar. Add  to the hot noodles, mix well, sprinkle a little sesame oil and stir in cod roe, add salt if needed. I put 1 teaspoon cod roe on top of each pasta serving.

Pickled daikon is just presalted daikon cubes mixed with sugar and light white vinegar.


1 Kommentar:

Sissi hat gesagt…

I have just checked and I see this fish very often here! I have never tasted it though... It seems that it's worth trying. Kumquats sound here like an excellent idea here! I love kumquats (I find their sweet zest vs acid juice very interesting) but I have only used them in cocktails until now.