Samstag, 12. Januar 2013

Roasted chicken rolls



I bought some chicken thighs, must have been dwarf chickens - wheight of each thigh about 210 g, but the prize was reasonable. Because I don’t like poultry with bones on (that much), I decided to make chicken rolls.
It is quite easy to debone chicken thighs – some sense for anatomy and a sharp knife is all you need and it is worth doing: Way better to debone on your own and not to buy deboned thighs because all the bones and scraps can be used to cook a delicious broth for basting, sauce base and as a little soup base later on.
1 sliced roll with a sip sauce

For the rolls and broth
5 chicken thighs (small or 3 common)
1 onion, finely diced
150 g mushrooms (brown button mushrooms) finely diced
¼ small leek
4 parsley stems, leaves chopped, plain stems for the broth
salt
pepper
1 thick slice ginger root
1 small garlic glove
soy sauce
Mirin
1 l water

I deboned the thighs carefully.  The meat from the backbone and the rests attached at the bones as well as the lower drumstick parts, went into a blender and were pureed. The bones and scrappy skin parts, grizzles and sinews went into 1 liter water with a little ginger root, garlic, leek, parsley stems, little salt and brought to a rolling boil. After removing the foam I let it simmer.
The deboned thigh parts were cut into  a rectangle shape  (scraps into the blender). I sprinkled with salt, let the thighs rest a bit and patted dry with a paper towel.
I roasted diced mushrooms with onion and parsley in a little oil until the liquid has evaporated, seasoned with pepper, salt and a little soy sauce (just a few sprinkles).  When cooled down I mixed in the finely pureed meat.
On each deboned chicken thigh (meat side up) I placed 1 tablespoon mushroom-mix and rolled it up.  I fixed each chicken roll with 2 wooden toothpicks.
The rolls were placed, toothpick part up, in an oiled roasting pan and went into the oven for 20 minutes at 200 degree  Celsius.  Afterwards I turned the rolls toothpick parts down and let them roast for about 25 minutes until nicely browned - once in a while I basted the rolls with broth and added a little broth into the pan.
When the rolls were done – juices should run clear when the meat is pricked – I removed the rolls from the roasting pan:

Roasted rolls
I removed the fat from the roasting liquid and added 3/4 cup broth into the roasting pan, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon mirin and stirred while cooking until all browned roasted parts came loose and let the sauce simmer until reduced to half. After sieving I seasoned again.

I served a small salad as side dish (and rice and steamed leek pimped up with mustard vinaigrette):
Chicory (witlof) leaves with tangerine
Just 2 chicories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory#Cultivated)  cut into thick slices (pieces), 2 tangerines sliced and halved with a little dressing made from salt, vinegar, mustard, oil, honey and cress.
Chicory goes well with tangerine:  the bitterness mixed with sweet and slightly sour freshness tastes so good during winter times.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Chicken thigh and mushroom... Sound very good to me!

I have never debone chicken or anything. I'm sure you will be disappointed when you come to Japan because almost all meat is previously deboned by the butcher.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Try it, they taste very good warm or cold, very nice for o-Bento.
There is no helping, so this is the reason why I found two japanese tourists strolling for a very very long time in our meat section in the super market...they have seen things they never have seen before...

Sissi hat gesagt…

Sounds delicious! I always roll up and in general fiddle with chicken breasts because I have always assumed deboning thighs is difficult. Thank you for the encouragement!
My Japanese friend was shocked to see all the thighs are with bones in shops in Europe.
Your salad has reminded me of my childhood days... I used to have it with orange, not tangerine, but the combination was very successful.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: The next day the rolls kept their shape much better when cut into slices, vey nice. Yes concerning other cultures, I have seen many asian people in our department store / deli-section (they have the hugest meat and cheese section in town). Seems to be very interesting for others. But we are the same, I always visit food stores and markets in other countries.
People here tent also to buy meat already prepared and sealed in plastic: chops without bones, chicken tighs deboned, rolls rolled. But I am some sort of old school. I even went to some butcher lessons, slaughtering included to learn how to debone.