Samstag, 26. Januar 2013

Lemon drizzle cake

Just a short one: today I made a quick cake. I found the recipe at the Guardian online but did some changes concerning the recipe - original recipe look here

The cake is very fluffy but sticky, sweet with a deep citrus flavour. Husband will be happy :-)

 

150 g butter
175 g sugar
3 eggs
100 g flour
75 g almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
 50 ml medium sherry
1 big lemon, zeste and juice
80 ml kumquat syrup*
4 tablespoons brown sugar

Whisk sugar, salt, zestes and butter until it becomes white and stiff creamy. Add one egg after another and incorporate each egg well before adding the next, whisk in the sherry. Add flour mixed with almonds and baking powder and fold in until comined.
Bake in a rectangle shaped pound cake mould (1 l volume) lined with parchment paper at 170 degree C for 50 minutes - until toothpick comes out clean. Don't remove cake from tin.
Meanwhile boil up brown sugar, lemon juice and syrup until bubbly heated
Poke the toothpick several times all over the cake deep into the cake. Cover cake with syrup in a few batches.
The cake will soak up the syrup very quickly as long as the cake is still hot. Sprinkle with a little brown sugar. Remove the cake from the mould after cooled down.

*) Yesterday I simmered  1 1/2 handful kumquats (halved) in 150 ml sugar water solution (50:70) until the kumquats were translucent and a syrup has formed. We had the kumquat compote with yoghurt. What was left was the very aromatic syrup. It is very tasty - fully orange flavoured without bitterness.


Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

I love lemon cakes and by your description I see I would like this one a lot too. The kumquat syrup sounds like an excellent idea. I tried making kumquat vodka last year, but I think I must have done something wrong: it has fermented (the first time among all the dozens of fruit-infused vodkas I have made!).
I will try again this year.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

For the vodka did you use whole fruits only poked by a needle? Maybe they fermented from the inside out and spoiled the vodka. I wish I could grow a kumquat tree as the friend of my mother in southern france. They taste the best fresh from the tree.