Montag, 28. Januar 2013

Hiroyuki's Kinshobai-Style Furikake

Read about it in Hiroyuki's blog.This is really something. I made several types of furikake before but this is the best. Besides furikake is something to sprinkle on or mix in rice for seasoning.
Furikake
There are different types of Furikake (振り掛け or ふりかけ) available. Main ingredients: dried fish, seaweed, sesame seeds, soy sauce, sugar, salt und different types of other components for look and additional flavour as vegetables, fish eggs and so on. It is all about umami. I followed Hiroyuki's recipe with some very minor changes due to the products I had in storage (in fact I could not resist to use a special mushroom mix):
Ingredients
As you can see: Hana katsuo (dried bonito shavings), shredded seaweed, sesame seeds, nut mix (pine nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds), soy sauce-mirin-vinegar mix and dried mushrooms, so called dried asia mushrooms (they sell it under this name), black fungus, shiitake, hen of the woods and so on:
Mixed dried mushrooms
After following Hiroyukis recipe I had enough furikake to fill two jars, much bigger jars than thought (200ml each):


A few remarks: the fish shavings need a big pan - they tend to just fly away... and they burn quickly. There is not much liquid, maybe the mushrooms should not be squeezed after soaking. I had to add a little water to heat it up properly for a few minutes. If you are european: make sure your kitchen ventilation is turned to the max, the fish shavings are smelly, really smelly, they smell even more when heated. Therefore the taste is excellent (no pain no gain).

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Wow, was I surprised! You really did make that furikake!

I was a bit worried if the flavor of the furikake might be unpleasant to Westerners because, as you are fully aware, furikake is something that you sprinkle on hot rice.

As for katsuobushi, yes, it tends to burn so quickly, so I made sure that I heated it on very low heat.
As for the smell of katsuobushi, well, the smell is a pleasant one, at least for the Japanese (laugh).

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Husband was a little annoyed of the smell. He did not complain directly but he asked me what the hell I was doing, with a rather grim look (laugh)... It is not at all violets and roses.

Sissi hat gesagt…

This furikake looks as great as Hiroyuki's. Congratulations! My husband isn't particularly fond of katsuobushi's smell either... (but this way I can have tons of it only to myself! when I prepare okonomiyaki it is hardly visible from under the layer of katsuobushi).