Montag, 14. Januar 2013

Fish

I like to eat sashimi and I wish I would live near the sea, where I could buy my fish directly from the boats or go fishing by myself. Most of the time the freshest fish I can get a hold on is trout from the trout farmer in the next village and most of the time I just put it in the smoker. Sometimes we stay with my mother in law who lives in a small seaport and there is the possibility to buy fish from the fishing cooperative but mother in law don't like to eat fish... and she always prepares the food. Therefore I wish I could live near the sea.
Beats me.
I am quite ok with my fish preparation but there are always things to learn and I am not as good as I wish. But there are ways to get better. I  found a very nice channel on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL23EE4DFC2855121B
Its from the Fukuoka (Japan) officials. Just a few videos on preparing sashimi. I like to watch those very much (only in japanese language).  This must be heaven.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Watch out for parasites if you really intend to make sashimi from raw fish! Do you have the necessary equipment (such as deba and sashimi knives)?

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

No worries, I have knifes and some knowledge about parasites (thanks to my former studies..) but the chance is very low to get some fish in the quality mentioned in the videos. Sometimes I make sashimi from a piece of bluefin tuna.

Sissi hat gesagt…

I have no access to extremely fresh fish (even not from a trout farm...), but if I consider frying and cooking in general the fish I get here is very fresh and most of all a big variety. I am glad to have a big Portuguese community here because, like the Japanese, they love aji (horse mackerel) which is quite often available in my big fish shop.
I often buy "normal" mackerel (saba) which is not cleaned (they don't clean smaller fish) and most of the time it has parasites (90% of the fish, and the warmer the weather, the bigger amount), so as much as I trust Japanese sushi shops in Japan, I would never eat mackerel sushi here (it's only slightly pickled, not cooked).
I have once heard that tuna has no parasites...

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi concerning parasites, yes fish have parasites. This is natures doing. Fish should be frozen at -20 C for several hours before turning into sashimi. Be very careful while removing intestines and the belly region / flanks.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

It is recommended to freeze fish at -20C for 24 hours or longer to kill any anisakis in them. Other parasites in fish and seafood are not harmful to humans, although they are rather ugly to look at.

Sissi: tuna can have parasites, particularly Myxosporea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxosporea

Sissi hat gesagt…

Thank you, Hiroyuki! I have always been convinced it has no parasites! Thank you both for the freezing advice. I think I will have to buy a real big freezer though ;-) (I have a very small one and not going to -20°C). Anyway, I have been dreaming about it for years.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Sissi: Sorry, I didn't imply (did Kiki imply?) that you should freeze the fish yourself. Most fish sold today are previously frozen ones, so they are free from living parasites. If you ever get a fresh whole fish, it's your responsibility to check it for any parasites. Apart from anisakis, most parasites in fish are unharmful to humans, and they can be distinguished with the naked eye.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Thank you, Hiroyuki. I'm a bit lost... I have always thought that only some of the tuna sold has been frozen... But I have never seen here tuna with a mention "defrosted" (it's obligatory to mention it so that people don't freeze it once more). They always mention it with squid or other seafood. Maybe they have no idea the fish was already frozen before? I have already frozen tuna and other thicker fish when I bought too much (special prices etc). I must ask at the shop.