Samstag, 19. Januar 2013

Fingerfood saturday

Usually I don't cook on saturdays - it is my day off...
But I was craving for some snacks. I decided on simple maki and persimmon sushi.

Snacks: cut open persimmon sushi (red roe), persimmon sushi salmon makis
There is nothing much to do: Boil the rice (1 cup), mix in the sugar-vinegar-solution and cool it down quickly until lukewarm. I toasted the 2 sheets Nori on top of my toaster (the one to roast bread slices) - very convenient.
The filling was carrot stripes, spring onion stripes, salt pickled salmon (3 slices graved lax for each sheet) and thin omlette made from 1 egg. I also like to put some mayonnaise mixed with horseradish into the rolls on top of the fish.
For persimmon sushi I lined a vey small tea cup with salmon slices, filled in a tablespoon rice, a teaspoon cod roe and wasabi. Before placing the salmon slices I put a sheet of clingfilm into the cup. Just pull the sushi out with the help of the clingfilm and give it a twist using the clingfilm to form the sushi.

Later I made waffles, garnished with whipped cream and cherries (usually hot acid cherries compote but I stored my home grown acid cherries in bourbon with sugar and this is quite something different - laugh) or apple butter or just to be eaten sprinkled with icing sugar. These kind of waffles store well and can be roasted the next days. Nowadays I don't make waffles that often. I made tons of waffles many years ago when our son was still small and I had to feed lots of his friends during Kindergarten and elementary school years. He was a lonely only child and therefore he used to bring some good friends home after school or playing outside (on weekends we always had 4 kids, staying from friday afternoon until sunday evening). First they raided the fridge or I cooked a quick meal and than there was a place left to be filled with something sweet and they simply loved waffles: It is incredible how much growing boys are able to eat - bottomless pits.

drunken acid cherries

Apple butter

I used a more stiff batter for more crunchyness. I don't like soft and soggy waffles tasting like pancakes. It is a simple batter:


120 g soft butter
4 tablespoons sugar
1 pinch salt
2 large eggs, yolks and whites
180 g flour
2 tablespoons rice flour
200 ml milk ( in fact:  150 ml milk, 50 ml advocaat)
½ teaspoon baking powder
good pinch nutmeg
Butter for the iron

Mix egg yolks and sugar until fluffy and white,  add butter and nutmeg and mix until well incorporated. Add milk and mix.
Whisk egg whites with a pinch salt until soft peaks form, fold into the batter.
Sieve flours with baking powder and gently fold into the batter.
Grease the iron and bake waffles. 

baking the waffle in a 30 year old iron

 Here we are:



Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Very, very busy Saturday for you! You made all those snacks and waffles when you could have lain on the couch and watch TV or something???

Persimmon sushi is new to me. Salmon sushi is so called in Germany?

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I just had fun doing it, more than lazing around on the couch.

I don't know where I got the idea for persimmon sushi from, maybe the internet maybe a cook book, but I did not invent it. It seems to be some kind of onigiri.

As for the name salmon sushi, in german we tend to build names from the main ingredient as salmon in connection with the kind of preparation as in beef and stew = beef stew. We call everything sushi in connection rice and fish wether it is a roll or a slice of fish on a rice ball, so it is Lachs Sushi / salmon sushi.
Often we use cured fish around here for something like Maki/sushi rolls. People think it is more trustworthy in terms of food safety. I bought a small pack of cured salmon already sliced. Sometimes I just buy half of a bigger salmon (deboned) and pickle the fish for 3 days. It is easy, just cover the fish with salt and sugar (and maybe spices, herbs), wrap it in clingfilm, lay a wheight on it and let sit in the fridge.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Waffles! I haven't had them for so many years... I think my favourite were with whipped cream and blueberries (the only thing where I liked whipped cream). Sour cherries are one of these things I dream of at night.... Can you imagine they don't have them in Switzerland? Only the early, very sour and light red variety which is also very difficult to get in my city.
Your maki sushi look fabulous! Persimmon sounds such a good idea and horseradish has actually given me some Europeanised ideas too... I never grill nori sheets because I have no gaz, nor toaster :-( but I do make maki often especially when it's hot outside. I haven't had maki since it started to be cold but I think I might make it tonight. Thank you for inspiration.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hi Sissy, even here sour cherries are rare. It is very difficult to buy some and if they sell some most of the time they are terrible expensive. Since many years I grow my own sour cherries. I have a tree, variety called Schattenmorelle. An old wellknown variety. Very delicious darkred, sweetsour fruits, perfect for jams, juices, jellies, compotes, black forest cake and such. I also freeze some for the winter.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Lucky you!!! If I had a garden I would plant it too. It's such a wonderful fruit... why people like more and more bland food?