Sonntag, 13. Januar 2013

Dried spicy Diakon pickles


Never thought about dried daikon before, unless  I read Hiroyukis entry about wari boshi daikon. This posting made me curious. I found a  ¾ piece of daikon in my fridge - a rather small one - somewhat slightly wilted. So here we are:
I cut the daikon into long stripes as recommended (1 cm diameter) and placed the daikon stripes next to each other on paper towels (lengthwise folded). Those towels were placed on top of the kitchen radiator. The warm air did work fine: the daikon was dried out in just one day.
Dried daikon:
dried daikon stripes on paper towel

Next step: How to pickle
I soaked the stripes in warm water for about 30 minutes- more or less. 
Meanwhile I prepared the brine:   
50 ml soy sauce, 
50 ml vinegar, 
20 ml Chinese sweet cooking wine, 
1 teaspoon sugar, 
3 x chilliflakes by spice mill, 
1/2 teaspoon toasted szechuan peppercorns, 
a few drops sesame oil, 
½ garlic  glove, 
1 very small pinch Chinese 5-spice (just the tip of the knife). 
I read a comment on Hiroyukis post by a chinese guy and did some google about szechuan daikon pickles so I decided on this brine because I am a huge fan of szechuan kitchen..
I put the daikon stripes into the brine and let them soak for a few hours / overnight.
Pickling
Tastes good? Crunchy yumminess but the smell is quite something …:


1 pickled stripe cut into 3 pieces, crunchy

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Congrats on your success!

I have no idea what authentic Chinese dried daikon pickle should taste like... Yummy but smelly?

I hated to wait for daikon to dry for days, so I now dry it in my workroom, which is heated while I am at work there. The daikon is now fully dried in two days. I have also made my first attempt to make kiri boshi daikon, and I have succeeded in fully drying it for just one day.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Congratulations! You were the first to make it! I also plan drying daikon and preparing Hiroyuki's dish with it. This Sichuan pickle looks great. I also love Sichuan cuisine. Since I have now two dishes with dried daikon to prepare, I'd better hurry up drying it!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hiroyuki: Yes it smells kind of intense, radish smell.
A heating system is very convenient for drying. First I thought about putting them in my electric food dryer but this is not very economic.

Sissy: Yes try it, very nice mouthfeeling.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Daikon has been drying since yesterday on my radiators :-)

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hi Sissi: The Daikon should be ready to use now :-) I am looking forward to the results.