Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2012

Pork and chinese cabbage casserole

I had some ground meat left in the freezer. So what to do? I also was a little fed up with all the prepartions for the christmas days and lots of festivities the last weeks so today I decided to cook something very easy and ended up with somthing you could call crossover - it just popped up into my mind...
It is a dish mainly made of ground pork, chinese cabbage and italian pasta leaves (for lasagna) and chinese spices. Sounds strange - believe me it is good, it is like a cabbage roll without roll (laugh)
It is kind of hard to make a picture of casseroles looking appetizing:

1/3 of the casserole - going to freeze this


 Ingedients:
6 pasta leaves (rectangle shaped for lasagna)
450 g ground pork
1/2 chinese cabbage, bigger leaves
3 celery stalks, cut into thicker slices
1 red pointed bellpepper,cut into stripes
1 big onion, cut into wedged slices
3 spring onions, cut into slices
2 garlic gloves, sliced
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons chinese black bean sauce (sechzuan style)
1 tablespoon sesame oil, toasted
soy sauce
chinese mushroom sauce
1/2 cup broth
1 tablespoon sugar
60 ml sake
1 tablespoon starch
2 eggs
oil for the tin

First I roasted the ground meat in sesame oil until nicely browned, adding the onion and garlic during the middle of time. Finely I added soy sauce (just a shot) and sugar and caramelized it a little. Afterwards I added celery and bellpepper, ginger, sake, broth  and the black bean sauce. I let this simmer until the meat was tender and the celery not that much crisp anymore (maybe 10 minutes). Meanwhile I blanched the cabbage leaves in salted water until softer and rinsed the leaves with cold water (squeezing a little to get rid of too much moisture).
I oiled a non stick casserole tin and made a first layer from cabbage leaves (3 leaves). The meat had cooled down a little and I added the starch, the whiter parts of the spring onions and just stirred it in. For final seasoning I used a little bit more soy sauce and mushroom sauce.
I made a layer of meat sauce on top of the cappage leaves and a layer of uncooked* pasta leaves (3 leaves). Topped again by cabagge, meat sauce, pasta leaves, a little more meat sauce, cabbage. Finally I mixed 2 eggs with 1 teaspoon soy sauce and a few tablespoons water and the darker green of the spring onions (finely chopped) and pured it over the last cabbage layer.
There it went into the oven: 25 minutes at 200 degree Celsius.

*)There is no need to boil the lasagna leaves beforehand, they will soak up the liquid and will get cooked during the baking time.






Keine Kommentare: