Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2012

Hiroshima Okonomiyaki

Today I made Okonomiyaki following the recipe of the Food Channel Cooking with dog.

1/4 piece of Okonomiyaki
It tasted great but I had to make minor (or maybe bigger) changes because they used some ingredients impossible to buy here, as powdered bonito or Okonomiyaki sauce or this deep fried squid.
Powdered bonito: I put a handful of Katsuobushi in my electric grinder and added a little nori (crumbled). After a few rounds I got the powder. Don't know if this tastes the same as store bought powder but it gave a very nice and rich flavor.
To the shredded cabbage I added 1 finely sliced carrot and a few mushrooms (4 sliced button mushrooms and a little Enoki). For toppings I enriched common mayonnaise with a little bit more hot mustard and finally I made my own Okonomiyaki sauce:

For Okonomiyaki sauce
2 tablespoons Ketchup
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons worcester sauce
1 tablespoon Mirin
2 tablespoons dark and thick plum jam
100 ml dashi

1 teaspoon arrowroot starch

Bring to boil and add the strach (dissolved in a little water). Stir and simmer until thickens to Ketchup state.


Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

It's pretty interesting to see a German laday making Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki, especially in the Christmas season (laugh).

I have never made Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki.

I suppose that powdered bonito is simple dried bonito shavings processed in a blender, and instead of fried ssquid, you can use tenkasu (also called agedama), which is a byproduct of tempura making.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Christmas season: I am going to make a japanese dinner for my friends next week (just a small pre-christmas party - laugh) - planned:

1. Sushi set, grilled mushrooms, clear broth with winter vegetables,

2. charcoal grilled salmon with miso glaze, beef in lemon/ponzu sauce, maybe simmered mackerel too,
pickles, vegetables, salads

3. green-tea-honey icecream with fruits

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Wow, your friends are lucky people!

Sissi hat gesagt…

I have never made or tasted Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki, but Tokyo-style okonomiyaki is my regular lunch every Sunday (unless I have it twice a week!). I am preparing a post with a new version because according to my mood and what I have in the fridge, I have made at least ten versions (I put what I want ;-) ).
Your okonomiyaki looks excellent. I must try it one day.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Tokyo-style? That's new to me. Or, maybe you are referring to Osaka-sytle? Or, maybe monja yaki?

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Seen a japanese movie where the protagonists always stop at an Okonomiyaki shop and order different types of Okonomiyaki: with scallions, or shrimps, or bacon, or mushrooms, beef and so on. But the noodles are something rare. It reminds on yakisoba. I guess it started with a cook with lots of leftover yakisoba...

Sissi hat gesagt…

I mean the one I had in Tokyo too... so I decided to call it Tokyo-style ;-)
My okonomiyaki doesn't contain noodles (only a batter with cabbage + different other ingredients).
I prepare usually with chicken (my favourite but unheard of in Japan!).

Okonomi_Yakity hat gesagt…

Looks like you did a great job with it! I've not seen bonito powder used before, but I like the idea and the blender seems perfect way to make it. If you are interested in more okonomiyaki recipes check out http://okonomiyakiworld.com - history and information on all the ingredients. Have fun!