Sonntag, 4. November 2012

Simmered sweet & salty pumpkin

At this time of the year there are lots of butternut squashs and red kuri squashs available. Each autumn and winter I eat lots and lots. I don't get the difference between winter squash and pumpkin. In Germany they all are simply called Kuerbis and there are waxy sweet or watery pumpkins available. The watery are only good for Halloween decoration or for sweet sour pumpkin pickles. I prefere the sweet and waxy kinds. I love pumpkin soups, pumpkin potatoe mash, stir fried caramelized pumpkin, baked pumpkin, deep fried pumpkin, pumpkin fritteres, pumpkin cakes... and so on (reminds me on Forrest Gump and the shrimp fishing) or this one: sweet and salty simmered red kuri  squash ( 栗カボチャ). In Germany this variety is called Hokkaido Kuerbis. Sadly there is no kabocha (南瓜) available. But Hokkaido it is a nice tasting substitute. I often cook this as part of my (o-bento) snack box for the office.

It is easy to prepare:
Cut the squash in halves, scoop out the seeds and their wooly, stringy surrounding. Cut the parts in quarters and each quarter in 3 equal pieces. Red kuri squashs are very small and there is no need to peel the pumpkin if the skin is nice and undamaged. Heat up 1/2 cup dashi stock, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 tablespoon soy sauce and simmer the pieces (pot closed by a lit) about 10-15 minutes. Don't simmer too long or the pumpkin pieces are going to get mashy or break. Sticking in a bamboo skrewer or tooth pick will give you a proof of wether the pumpkin is soft and done or not.


Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Looks delicious!

I'm not familiar with kuri kabocha, a quick Google search tells me it's a type of kabocha that is tasty like chestnuts (kuri), as the name implies.

Do you use an otoshi buta (lit. drop lid) while simmering the kabocha? If you don't have one, a sheet of aluminum foil or some paper towels are a sufficient substitute.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

There was not that much liquid in the pot to cover the cubes so I had to turn the cubes once in a while and I did not use this drop lid just a usual lid.