Sonntag, 18. November 2012

Quick and easy Apple Strudel with an arabian touch

Weekend, in need of some pastry for the coffee table. What to do, what to do. I was not eager to bake anything big and showy. Searching my kitchen cupboards and fridge I found:

3 big apples (baking / cooking apples variety Boskoop)
150 g dried dates
60 g almonds, already peeled and cut into small sticks
italian almond cookies (Amarettini)
1 layer fresh puff pastry dough, near expiring date

Perfect for a puff pastry strudel.
It is best to use strudel dough but puff pastry dough is a good enough substitute once in a while.

First I peeled and cored the apples and sliced the apple quaters into thinnly slices. I tossed the slices with a little lime juice to prevent oxidation. I pitted the dates and cut them into thin slices which I soaked in 2 tablespoons homemade quince liqueur and roasted the almonds until golden.
I crumbled a small handful almond cookies (Amarettini) into bigger crumbles.
Finely I rolled the puff pastry layer into a layer 1/3 times bigger than before. Big enough to cover a medium baking sheet.

Finally I mixed apples, dates and soaking liquids, 1 heaped tablespoon firmer honey, cookie crumbles and 1 pinch Quatre Éspice (french spice mix containing cinnamon, ginger, gloves, nutmeg) and spread this mix over the puff pastry dough - just leaving a little space at the edges. I rolled the layer into a firm roll, pinchend the dough at the ends together and made a few horizontal cuts into the upper side, basted a little oil on top and sprinkled with brown sugar.

That was all, baking time 25 minutes at 200 degree Celsius. Very good still warm with wipped Cream.



Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

This is a very appetising and creative strudel. Dates sound like an exotic touch and I'm very surprised to see you use the four spices too! It's hard to believe such an impressive cake can be made with what is found in your kitchen. You have made me crave apple desserts! I think I will bake something tomorrow.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Yes, I love four spices. I always buy it at the Galerie Lafayette when I am visiting Berlin (which happens a few times each year).