Dienstag, 6. November 2012

Lotus root patties

Hiroyuki made Renkon (Lotus root) Hamburgers. This reminded me at lot on a recipe for daikon cake. I decided to try out wether it would be possible to merge two recipes (chinese and japanese) to create something delicious. I liked the daikon cake a lot and radish and lotus roots are quite similiar in texture and crunchyness. So I did it.
lotus root patty

First I peeled 1 lotus root and cut off 6 equal slices. I grated the leftover part and squeezed the resulting mash as much as possible (my chinese lady from the asia food store recommended to use the juice and the ends of the root for a healthy soup, good for eyes, hair and such).  I chopped 1 slender and small spring onion finely and minced 6 frozen dried shrimps. Those I mixed together with the squeeze dried lotus root mash, 1 tablespoon rice flour (mochi flour), 1teaspoon soy sauce and a small pinch salt and formed 3 patties. The patties went into 3 equal "sandwichs" (2 slices root and 1 patty = 1 sandwich) and I steamed the "sandwichs" in a steamer for about 15 minutes. Afterwards I fried the sandwichs in a mixture of dark roasted sesame oil and common cooking oil on both sides, until nicely coloured. Believe me they were good. Should have made more but fresh lotus root is quite expensive (7.01 Euro for 3 roots) and I was not sure, wether this would be good or not! The first I ate in just two bites, the other two will go into my o-Bento.

from the sides
halved

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

You were quick! I had never imagined that you would make renkon hasami yaki with grated renkon + spring onion + shrimp in them. And, they were first steamed and then fried! Much more sophisticated than mine!

Of course, they can never be bad! I wish I could have one!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Is it unusual to put renkon into renkon hasami yaki? The steaming is important to "glue" everything together. The riceflour develops and adds a nice chewy texture. Next I am going to try renkon hasami yaki stuffed with ground chicken.
Sophisticated: there are only 2 more steps added (put together with sliced renkon, steaming) - not that much.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I don't know if its unusual or not. I just didn't think of sandwiching grated renkon with renkon sheets myself. I know of a recipe that combines grated renkon and finely chopped renkon to provide a unique texture.

Sissi hat gesagt…

I still remember this recipe from Hiroyuki's blog! Your sandwiched patties look superb. I like renkon so much, but have never cooked it on my own.