Donnerstag, 22. November 2012

Chinese chopsticks

I am not that bad with chopsticks, actually I exercised a lot. While visiting China I simply had to cope and learn fast or it would have been embarrassing.
Yes, they will give you forks and spoons most of the time - in fact they always may be thinking you are a westerner not knowing how to eat properly with chopsticks, but we don't offer asian tourists chopsticks in our restaurants (unless it is a Sushi-Bar, Ramen-Shop, Chinese restaurant) and they have to work it out with knife, fork and spoon, so I thought it would be fair and square to have my meals with chopsticks during my stay in Beijing (laugh). After two days I was able to eat single sweet corn grains using chopsticks or to roll up a thin pancake filled with Beijing duck and spring onions. My chinese friends had lots of fun...
I bought quite some souvenirs for the kitchen and dining table. As you can see, some table decoration: a cute frog mother with kids in a lotus leaf made from porcellain (I think it is a brush washer) bought on a flea market for about 2 Euros and for the kitchen I bought tea, rice cookies, rice wine, dried fruits, spices and chopsticks! So the question was, do I have any other chopsticks than chinese? No, but except the plain white ones and chopsticks made of bamboo, I got those too:
 
This are really common souvenir shop chopsticks


Black laquered and with golden heaven dragons on it. They were really cheap but they are good looking and whenever I have guests and I am preparing something asian they have to use those (or fork and spoon). I think chopsticks are great souvenirs: they don't break, they don't use up much space and their wheigt is low. So I am looking forward to buy some more in Japan.


each pair came with a nice sheath 


Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for showing us your Chinese chopsticks together with your thoughts about chopsticks.

I am clumsy with Chinese chopsticks, because I am used to using Japanese wooden chopsticks with pointed ends. I also have difficulty with using Korean metal chopsticks.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

That reminds me, I've got some very plain chopsticks with pointed ends too. So those may be japanese.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Did you know that Japanese do not hold chopsticks the same way as the Chinese? My Japanese friend told me this a year ago and since my love for Japanese food and culture is bigger than for the Chinese one, I immediately switched to the Japanese way. It helps one to eat more precisely.
I have been practicing for a long time and use chopsticks every day (my husband too) whenever we have anything Asian (so everyday practically) and sometimes even twice a day (on weekends). I must say I have forgotten I used only chopsticks when I was in Japan :-)
My friend kindly offered me extraordinary, hand carved chopsticks, they look as if made of ebony... and are not smooth but carved slightly so they are particularly comfortable and very elegant. (I can ask her the address of the shop if you want; it was somewhere in Ginza).
I hate Korean chopsticks! Very difficult to handle. I still remember when we were invited by Koreans and had to eat noodles with metal chopsticks ;-)
When I go to Korea one day maybe I will copy Kuitan, the detective from the Japanese series and carry my own chopsticks ;-)