Donnerstag, 4. Oktober 2012

Wrapping up a birthday present for garden lovers

A friend of mine is going to have birthday so I went and bought some tulip bulbs for her. We never exchange expensive presents just little meaningful things. The variety I bought were so called Rembrand tulips (yellow and white with red flames), which I had already planted last year and the year before, resulting in very impressive, long blossoming and beautiful flowers. I know she will be delighted. But as beautiful as the flowers are, bulbs are not that pretty. I decided to wrap them up nicely, using all kind of things from my garden - it is a present for somebody who loves gardening and we always end up with gardening gifts. For the gift wrapping I used an old small clay pot, ivory,  lantern flower sprigs, rose hips, a small white pumpkin and a few ribbons.
First I placed the bulbs in the thoroughly cleaned pot, bulbs wrapped in a bag of parchment paper. I tied a small wreath - using ivory and lantern flower and placed this over the hidden "parcel" and fixed the pumkin with a bamboo skrewer right in the middle, I also fixed a small bundle of little red rose hips in the wreath. In a final step I wound 2 short ribbons around: a broard organza ribbon in light green with a fancy leave and flower attachments and a slender yellow ribbon, these ribbons where just lazing around in my leftover decoration treasure box... I know she is not reading my blog - costs: 3.99 Euro and 15 minutes time. And here we are - cheap but with love...


Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

Your present wrapping would make even the Japanese envious! (Let's see what Hiroyuki says!).

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Sissi, since you say so, I think I better respond...

Yes, it's a work of art, and it's more like ikebana (flower arrangement) than a gift to someone.

(Since I visited the Echigo-Tsumari Art Triennale five times, I've been thinking about incorporating works of art into the kitchen and elsewhere.)

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hiroyuki: Go for it. It is a good idea to incorporate works of art into the daily life. I wish I had more time. I have seen lots of art in gardens. Here are some longterm projects of mine: 1# building a laying / resting / sleeping figurine made of wood, clay and soil as part of the garden "landscape" (replanted with moss and ferns). Another one: building a short wall made of concrete shaped as a reptile/snake and plastered with bits and parts of colourful wall tiles. But my next project will be a birdhouse looking like something organic - maybe like a cuttlefish. All I have to do is to build the "head"...
Ikebana: never did and never tried. There are so many rules (laugh).