Montag, 29. Oktober 2012

Duck cooked on low temperature

Last saturday night we had to face -5 degree Celsius thanks to an artic stream (last weekend we had +26 degree Celsius, quite a difference).
Time for a hearty winter meal on sunday: It is freezing cold, calls for meat and cabbage.
I decided on a new recipe for duck!

First I rubbed a young duck with spices and salt on the inside and outside (just a small tablespoon salt, 2 tablespoons mushroom soy sauce and some cajun seasoning: mixture of hot and sweet chilli, pepper, thyme, dried garlic and onions, allspice) and let it sit over night in the fridge.
Afterwards I prepared some root vegetables for roasting: 1 carrot, 1 parsnip, 1 slice celery bulb, 1 onion, 1 garlic - diced and garlic minced.
I placed the vegetables in a roasting pan with some hot water, above this I placed a wired rag and the duck (patted dry, legs and wings fixed and tied with a thread, belly filled with 1 diced peeled and cored apple, 1 sprig sage and thyme and 1 diced onion), breastside down.
First it took 25 min on 200 degree Celsius to give it some heat for a quick start, afterwards I turned the heat down to 80 degree Celsius and that was all for about 6 hours. From time to time I just basted the duck with a honey soy sauce mix (1:2), every hour more or less.
Meanwhile I cooked some stewed red cabbage and southern german potatoe noodles.

Just a quick snapshot after dinner: red cabbbage a duck leg, dark sauce and fried noodles

For cabbage stew:
1 small cabbage (red)
2 apples, peeled, cored and diced (cooking apples as brambly)
1 onion
1 knob goose fat
60 ml vinegar
1/2 small glass red wine
1/2 small glass broth
8 juniper berries
black pepper
1 bag dry spices for mulled wine - think tea bag filled with cloves, allspice, ginger, orange peel
3 tablespoons freshly made quince jelly jam.
salt
First I seared the diced onion in fat until translucent and than I added the shredded cabbage and diced apples. I deglaced with vinegar, wine and broth, added the spices and let it simmer 45 minutes (depends on the shredding). I got rid of the tea bag and finished the stew with the jam until it reached the lovely sweet and sour taste. Reheated this stew it is at it's best.

For the potatoe noodles I boiled about 600 g waxy potaoes in their jackets, steamed the soft potatoes for 5 minutes to get rid of as much water as possible and peeled them afterwards. Still hot I mashed the potaoes. After slightly cooling down I added 2 eggs and a 3 tablespoons flour, a very good pinch of salt and some nutmeg. The dough has to be soft and sticky not too much flour in need. I formed noodles (hands powdered with flour because the dough is sticky) up to 10 cm long max., think of small fingers, but the ends have to be pointed.
I deep fried the noddles in a wok in some oil until golden on medium temperature (not too hot or they will get brown really quickly while still not done at the inside). These noodles remind on crocettes.  They can be eaten sweet as dessert with applesauce and icing sugar or salty as sidedish for sauces, meat, cabbage stew. Those kind of noodles are known since early medieval times. First they were made of rye flour and eggs only. After the potatoes came into our country people started to mix potaoes with the flour. Instead of deep frying, the noodles can be boiled in simmering water. It is good to prepare huge batches and freeze some for later use. Their name in Germany: Schupfnudeln (southern grman idiom for rolled noodles) or much more funny  in another southern german idiom: Bubenspitzle (Boys little penis - sorry...)

Deep frying the noodles in a Wok

45 minutes before the duck should be ready (after 5 hours) I transferred the duck over another roasting pan with a little water and flipped it breast side up. I turned the heat up to 180 degree Celsius.
Meanwhile I heated up some of the duck fat in a pan and roasted the root vegetables from the first roasting pan (I strained the broth and caught the vegetables), added 1 teaspoon tomatoe paste and the duck neck chopped into pieces. After roasting until everthing got nice brown roast marks, I deglaced with the strained broth from thefirst roasting pan and 300 ml red wine. I let it simmer until reduced to a half and strained it to a fine mashed strainer, got rid of the fat and simmered the sauce just a little bit more. I checked the seasoning and added 1 tablespoon  orange marmelade. After 25 - 30 minutes on 180 degree Celsius the duck should be browned. I let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting.

I served the duck cut into legs and breast pieces with the noodles, cabbage stew and some caramelized and soft boiled quince wedges. Result: the duck was very soft and juicy and the duck skin had a nice colour but slow cooking duck will never lead to a crisp skin.  The meat was very good!
The leftovers: I am going to pick the leftover meat from the bones, make a broth from the bones and prepare a duck soup with buckwheat noodles.


Kommentare:

muskratbyte hat gesagt…

I'm drooling! This looks absolutely delicious!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Thank you very much. Ducks are very tasty but smelly birds (laugh).