Donnerstag, 27. September 2012

Tofu-millet hamburger or fake meatballs

Today we made lunch for  about 100 people. During summer we moved into another office building. To learn more about the other and new colleagues (they were already working there), we decided to invite all to have some small talk and a snack during lunch time. It was a great fun and many colleagues participated.
We (a handful of people of different divisions) made different kinds of typical noodle and potatoe salads and heated up about 140 bigger Wiener sausages in a huge electric soup pot.
I made a potatoe salad (with lots of roasted vegetables and sour cream dressing) and also prepared a plate of fake meatballs for collegues with "no meat pelase" attitudes. I served some home made sweet chilli sauce too. So happy they ate up and not one fake meatball was left!  Some even asked for the recipes.
Those fake meatballs are basicly made from part steamed millet and part tofu.
I took
  • 1 cup millet
  • 2 cups water
  • pinch salt
and steamed the millet about 20 min until soft and fluffy and dry (water soaked up)

I added:
  • 340 g firm tofu, cut into cubes
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1 tablespoon red miso
  • 1 tablespoon mushroom sauce (thick chinese soysauce)
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • salt to taste
  • 1 big egg
  • 1 minced onion
  • chilli flakes
  • black pepper

I purred the lot with an immersion blender until I got a slightly coarse paste. Afterwards I added 1 finly sliced and chopped spring onion, mixed it in and formed small balls. I deep fried the balls (which I flatted a bit into a perfect hamburger shape) in oil about 3 minutes on each side until golden. Flipping the balls is not that easy - they are soft and may break quickly so I took two spoons to support the flipping. After cooling down on kitchen paper the "no meatballs" will become much firmer.


It took this picture with my I-Pad. I-Pads are no good for this kind of duty, they are too heavy, had some trouble to hold it until the picture was focused...

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Using millet instead of meat is a good idea. I'm thinking of using my mochi awa (a type of millet that is glutinous) in place of cheese. I'm also interested in using uruchi awa (a type of millet that is not glutinous) in place of meat.
I'm not quite sure whether this is true, but one site says that mochi awa is called cheese millet while uruchi awa is called chicken millet.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Interesting. We have Hirse only and it is not that glutinious at all. Maybe it is bot. Panicum miliaceum, maybe bo. Setaria italica - so many different kinds and they don't tell. Anyhow: it is healthy and tastes good.