Mittwoch, 8. August 2012

Wild boar back with herb crust


My son arrived from China – he is living in Beijing since 6 years and once a year, during summertime, he comes back home to visit for a few weeks.
He wished to eat something special he really missed in China: Wild boar. Usually I would rather prepare game during autumn or winter but whatever makes him happy I will do and the temperatures are low outside – 18 C,  rainy – autumn like.  I always have some game in my freezer due to the fact a friend is a hunter. So lucky me I had 1 young wild boar back (deboned) in storage or I would have been in a pinch. Here we go:
Slices of broar, mushrooms in cream, vegetables on a sea of sauce
Sorry the picture is not that good but I was in a kind of hurry. 
This meal preparation takes some time and is a little bit over the top for a weekday dinner but it is very nice.
Yesterday I put the meat (thawed)  in a marinade I made from:
  • ¾ bottle red wine
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 1 piece of celery, diced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 laurel leaves
  • 8 allspice corns
  • 12 pepper corns
  • 8 juniper berries
  • 1 piece of orange peel
  • 1 garlic glove
  • a few parsley stems (leaves kept for crust see below)
This late afternoon I:
  • took the meat out of the marinade and patted it dry,
  • sieved the marinade, but kept liquid and solid parts,
  • roasted the sieved vegetables and spices in a pan with a little oil,
  • added 1 teaspoon tomato paste and  roasted this again,
  • deglaced with the marinade liquid.
This has to be simmered until reduced to half. I added 400 ml game stock, 1 rosemary sprig and simmered again until reduced to half. I sieved this again and refilled the sauce back to the pan.  At least I added 1 heaped tablespoon freshly cooked blue plum jam I made yesterday and adjusted the salt content. I purred the sauce with the immersion blender to make it really smooth.  One thing very important: Don’t use salt before due to the reducing the liquid procedures. To thicken the sauce one may use cold butter cubes or a little starch solution.  I used starch to keep the fat content lower.
For the meat:
  • I cut the pork back in two halves,
  • sprinkled halves with a little salt and pepper,
  • powdered halves with just a little flour,
  • tossed the flour coated meat in beaten egg,
  • tossed meat in bread crumbs mixed with ground hazelnuts, 2 tablespoons chopped herbs (rosemary, thyme, parsley – most of it parsley), salt ( I just ground a bigger slice of fresh white bread cut into small cubes and a handful of hazelnuts with the immersion blender)
I fried the bread crumb coated meat pieces in oil until the crust became golden and transferred the pieces into the preheated oven (100 C) layered in a pan. I sprinkled the rest of the bread crumb- nut mixture on top with a little olive oil and let the meat rest in the oven at 100 C for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes I changed the oven heat to 60 C – just to keep it warm.

Meanwhile I prepared some vegetables:  blanched broccoli and carrots, carrots tossed in a little butter afterwards, champignons a la crème: button mushroom slices simmered in cream.
Therefor I took a slice of bacon, cut in stripes and roasted the stripes together with a small diced onion in a pan until the bacon turns to golden brown. I added sliced mushrooms (500 g) and roasted them for a short while and added 150 ml cream (cream as for whipped cream).  I simmered this on low temperature until the cream was reduced to nearly nothingness and became thick and glossy. I added a little pepper and a very small amount of salt.

The meat was really juicy and pink at the inside. Rather low oven temperature and bread crumb crust  prevents the very lean meat of getting tough and dry.

As for the son: he was really happy.

Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

I haven't had wild boar for ages. You are lucky with your hunting friend. This looks like a good, homely, comforting dish, but with the luxurious game (well, it's luxury for us who don't have hunting friends ;-) ). I'm not surprised your son missed it.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Homely? For me, the whole dish looks like a restaurant-level one.

I envy your son!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Thank you Hiroyuki, it is just a typical german sunday roast.
Sissi: Yes I am very very thankful to my good friend. It is nice to have such a source for excellent meat. If I had to buy such quality in a shop I would have to spend lots of money for sure. Hunters have to pay a certain amount to the land owner for each animal. I just have to pay a small part of this tax.