Freitag, 24. August 2012

Russian tomato breed

Husband is growing 12 different tomatoe varieties. Now the next variety, a yellow tomato, is ready to be harvested. This tomato is a russian breed - german name Goldtröpfchen translated in english: smale + cute golden drop.

Golden drops are really very small , weight 10-15 g, sweet, without any acid, delicious! On the left the golden drop, on the right a small cherry tomatoe and a 1 Euro coin, just to show the size.

Highly recommended, we will grow some more next year.


Besides tomatoes - our garden is filled with tomatoes but I have some space left to grow shrubs and flowers. And this one is a new Hydrangea I planted in spring and I am very pleased with:


The variety name: For ever and ever Peppermint. The small single blossoms are reminding on peppermint candies - the ones with the pink twirl and it flowers gigantic, really really big, amazing coming from such a small first year shrub.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Wow, really small!

I don't think that variety of yours is available in Japan... But, without any acid??? I don't want to sound contradictory, but I'd like a variety that has a good balance of sweetness and sourness.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Without any acid means really sweet. I think you are right, fruitness is based on the balance, so there is acid but more "mild" sweetness then compared with the red cherry tomato. I could send you some seeds if you like to grow this variety - no problem, but we have to order authentic seeds for next year first, because due to the many different tomatoe plants this years harvest will provide cross-breed seeds. Growing cross breed plants is risky, sometimes they are quite fine and sometimes no good at all.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for your kind offer, but I will start looking for similar varieties in Japan. I will definitely try more varieties next year than this year!