Mittwoch, 18. Juli 2012

Apricot-Lavender-Jam


Since it is peach and apricot season I am digging in. Both are my much beloved favorite fruits. I have lots at my office as lean and refreshing snack. I had a small amount of ripe and soft apricots left over (and they did not taste that much so to say, if there were great there would not have been any left overs). Before they are going to get moldy and turn into manure - since 3 weeks it is warm but very wet due to heavy rainfalls again and again (call it monsoon or whatever), I made some quick jam for breakfast.

Jam

300 g apricots, pitted  (keep some stones) - for  pitting just cut into halves with a small and sharp knife and remove stones
150 g preserving sugar for jam (preserving sugar which calls for 1 part sugar : 2 part fruit - not too sweet)
1 tablespoon lemon juice to prevent oxidation
1 sip apricot brandy (not really necessary if the apricots are perfectly aromatic)
1 lavender twig out of my garden, the tiny blossoms only without stem

Boil apricots together with 5-6 apricot stones and sugar and keep on boiling on medium heat until apricots are soft and very mushy. 
boiling in a bigger pot

Remove stones and puree apricots with an immersion blender, just pulse 4 times to make a jam which is smooth but has some apricot chunks left. If you don't have a blender no worries, just cut apricots into small chunks before cooking and mash with a laddle. Add lavender blossoms and apricot brandy, heat it up again and fill in a jar (rinse jar with hot water beforehand). Close lit, flip it over and let cool down.

If you are quick with the knife this will take 10 minutes.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Looks delicious! And, a sugar-to-fruit ratio of 1:2 sounds sweet enough for me.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Kiki, I also make apricot jam with lavender! I also made some jars with a delicious Hungarian apricot brandy (palinka) and they were extraordinary, but I prefer to drink this brandy than put into jams, so for now I don't repeat the experiment ;-)
Joining both brandy and lavender is an excellent idea. I also like your blender tip (I hate cutting apricots for hours).

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissy: I used only a little apricot brandy so it is not ovepowering the original flavour. We finished the jar in no time. Guess I have to make some more.