Samstag, 9. Juni 2012

Indonesian fish fritters


Pekedel  Ikan 


I did it a few days ago following my indonesian cook book I bought in England:


500 g cod, ice cold, cut into cubes
3 spring onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon palm sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
1 garlic glove, minced
1 egg. slightly beaten
 A few tablespoons sieved starch (corn -  or potatoe starch)
Oil
Blend fish with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sugar until minced and something smooth. Mix in egg and chopped spring onions. The mixture is very soft and sticky.
With wet hands form small balls, toss balls in starch and deep fry until golden. Serve with soy sauce or sweet thai chilli sauce.

I made some sweet and sour vegetables too: Sayur Asam

Make a paste of 
2 garlic gloves minced, 
2 shallots minced, 
2 chilli peppers minced 
2.6 g fried shrimp shell powder.
 
Heat paste and just fry 1 minute in oil.
A add vegetables as: 
1 summer squash and 1 egg plant cut in slices
1 cup shredded cabbage
100 g green beans (following the cook book). 
Spice with 
2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate 
1 teaspoon palm sugar 
some laos powder 
and add 
1 cup chicken stock 
- simmer until tender. 
But I took different vegetables because I did not have summer squash, egg plant and green beans in storage:
White turnips, carrots and chinese cabbage and I did not have any crab fish shells or shrimp or laos powder and I took red Thai curry paste instead.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

These fritters sound delicious! They would be quite similar to Japanese satsuma age (さつま揚げ or 薩摩揚げ) if not coated with starch.

Sissi hat gesagt…

I have never heard about these! I have an Indonesian cookery book and I must admit I haven't heard about most of the recipes there. Although all of them turn out delicious just like your fritters.