Samstag, 9. Juni 2012

Burning newspapers for a fish dish


Today I barbequed sea breams – using a new method. I have read about this in a german cooking forum. The original recipe is based on Jamie Oliver. But I did use other spices (much less and others) and did it a little different.

First I soaked the sea breams over night in salt water brine (1 small handful salt in 4 liters of water to get a firmer and tastier fish) and afterwards I rinsed them once and dried the fish with paper towels.  I put some parsley and a lemon slice in the bellies and made a good use of freshly coarse grounded pepper.  So far I also put some lemon slices on top of the fish and wrapped each fish in one layer parchment paper and wrapped it again in a sheet of newspaper (1 double side). Fixed the wrapping with some kitchen string and soak parcels in water - just for a few minutes. I put the parcels on a rack over white hot gleaming charcoal and grilled them 30 minutes, 

parcels and some small french merguez sausages (to be eaten during waiting...)

while turning them over once after 15 minutes. Newspaper will get dry and than burn during this process but this does not matter.

Newspaper burned and nearly gone

I used a scissor to cut open the left over parchment paper, which was only charred a little but not burned yet.
My plate - I don't like fish skin so it is peeled of:
The fish was very juicy and tender: Method highly recommended.

For the green sauce I blended 1 small bunch of flat leaved parsley with a good pinch of salt and 125 ml olive oil, juice of ½ lemon and ½ teaspoon lemon zest.
I made some vegetable dish too: sort of ratatouille (1 eggplant, 1 summer squash, 1 fennel  bulb, 2 red bell peppers, 3 shallots, sprig rosemary, thyme, some sage leaves, 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, 1 lavender blossom head, laurel leave, 2 garlic gloves;  I simply cut vegetables into pieces and simmered the veggies in olive oil until tender and spiced them up with some salt, pepper and Crema di balsamico)

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Just wondering what benefit the old newspaper has on the flavor of the fish. The site you linked to says nothing about the benefit. Maybe the burned newspaper gives off some nice aroma.....

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Wet paper releases steam during the roasting process and the fish will be done rather slowly while sitting in its own juices. I could not notice any special smoke taste at all: Maybe because there was a layer of parchment paper between fish and newspaper.

Sissi hat gesagt…

A very interesting method. I think I have seen it somewhere (maybe jamie Oliver's program?). it looks delicious and juicy.