Sonntag, 6. Mai 2012

Curry rice with breaded pork cutlet - カツカレー

Today I made curry rice from the scratch. First I had not planned to cook anything because yesterday was a 10.000 calory day (or so). We went out with friends for dinner and cocktails - way too much...

But later today we got hungry again and I decided on a japanese style curry.

Leftovers

This is not a precise recipe because I used a little of this and a little of that without taking measurements. Every curry turns out a little bit different...
First I started preparing the roux. I think it is more common in Japan to buy curry roux but I had none. So I made it the old fashioned way. In a deep pot I heated up butter fat and roasted 1 heaped tablespoon flour until well browned.- you have to stir this while roasting - the colour of the flour should turn to chocolate brown during this process but don't burn it. While still light brown I added a freshly ground spice mix made from gloves, cinnamon, tumeric, chilli,fennu geek, star anise, allspice, pepper. I also added one chopped onion, teaspoon chopped ginger and 1 small chopped garlic glove  and tossed them with the roux mix and let them roast a little until the colour of the flour was fine

I added 2 cups water (stir this well) and afterwards a mix of different vegetables in pieces or slices: 1 egg plant, 2 small carrots, 1 red bell pepper, 2 celery stalks, 2 small potatoes cubed and one peeled apple, grinded. I added 1 tablespoon palm sugar and salt and 2 tablespoons soy sauce and let the curry simmer about 25+ minutes until the potaoes were soft and the curry thick enough. 
At least I adjusted the seasoning with a tablespoon sweet sour yellow plum jelly spiced with star anise. This adds a nice juicy extra zing. I wished I had some mango chutney in storage but plum jelly made from wild yellow plums was a good substitute.

Meanwhile I cooked rice and breaded two cutlets. For the bread crust I simply used a little flour for dusting the meat, afterwards I dipped the meat slices into stirred egg+ soy sauce mix and tossed the culets in panko flakes and fried them in oil.

We had some cake afterwards.
Our friends prepared it for our wedding anniversary so cute...


Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary, Kiki (Ekki?)!

Katsu curry is something that I would eat if I were 30 years younger than I am (laugh).

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Thank you. Ekki (Sharpness of the sword) is my husbands name. Sounds funny.

Why only eat Katsukare while you are 20 +/-? Is it students cantine food? Does not matter. I also sometimes eat spinach, potatoe mash and fish fingers and this is so called Kindergarten food (laugh).

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I don't think your home-made curry contains much lard, but in general, Japanese curry roux contains just a lot of lard. Katsu is oily. So, katsu curry is considered a high-calorie meal in Japan, and is mostly consumed by young men.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Happy wedding anniversary! The heart is really beautiful! You have wonderful friends. I love breaded pork (if I could I would have it every second day), but curry is one of the rare Japanese dishes I don't like. I love Indian and Thai curries though, but find the Japanese too artificially tasting and heavy, so I'm happy to see your from the scratch version! It sounds fantastic.