Montag, 2. April 2012

Tea eggs

Due to the upcoming easter holidays, and in regard of Hiroyukis multiple egg recipes, I was thinking about Tea eggs - eggs coloured in the inside and on the outer shell .
Tea egg (chicken egg simmered in tea spice brine)

Peeled Tea egg
This is a southern chinese recipe, calling for lots of spices, which will add a wonderful flavour to the eggs. There will be no need for additional seasoning!
spices

Spice mixture:
  • 2 chillies
  • 3 small star anise
  • 4 gloves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 tablespoons sezchuan pepper corns
  • 1 tablespoon strong black tea leaves (Assam tea)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • long stripe pomelo peel - only the thinnly yellow part, nothing white attached!!!
  • 3/4 cup soysauce

In a small pot I boiled 5 eggs well covered by water for 3 minutes and spooned them out of the pot. I cracked the shells by rolling each egg carefully over a marble cutting board. The more cracks the merrier. Let the eggs rest a bit. The eggs are still very soft, so they do need a more loving touch or they will be destroyed easily, or you could loose some parts of the shell what would desturb the egg pattern later on.
I added the spice and tea mixture, soysauce and sugar to the (still hot) water, heated it up and added the eggs again. Lowering the heat to the lowest simmering point I let the eggs simmer for 40 minutes and let them sit in the liquid for 2 days: after cooling down I placed the eggs (still steeping in the brine) in the fridge. The egg yolks will show a greyish/green rim, this is typical for long boiled eggs. Usually I try to avoid this by using a much shorter cooking time for hard boiled eggs. My grandmother used to call such an "overcooked" egg "devils egg" and as a child I did not eat them at all - I was too scared thinking about devils (grandmothers sometimes have some weired stories to tell for sure). But for this kind of eggs it is a must.

Just peeling and eating, that is all.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

a southern chinese recipe?!

You seem to have just a lot of recipes at your fingertips!

I just can't imagine what your tea eggs taste like!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Taste is hard to describe. It is the hint of tea and a little star anise which lingers on.

Sissi hat gesagt…

They look so magical! I must try making them one day. Maybe Easter is a good moment? I love start anise, so if the taste stays a bit in the egg, it's definitely for me.