Sonntag, 8. April 2012

Easter breakfast egg salad and rolled egg

For Easter breakfast, besides all other spreads and  toppings as home made jams, different kinds of bacon, smoked fish, cheese, I made an egg salad: Very convenient because there are always lots of hard boiled eggs lazing around on an easter sunday.
Egg salad for 2 decorated with chinese tea egg

For a small amount of egg salad just dice 1 hard boiled egg in small dices. Stir 1 tablespoon mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon yoghurt, 1/3 teaspoon mustard, 1 tablespoon cress sprouts, 1 teaspoon salt preserved capers (roughly chopped) and black pepper.
Fill in a small bowl, decorate with another egg, quartered (I took one of my chinese tea eggs) and a tablespoon cress sprouts.
Due to the saltiness of the capers there is no need for additional salt for me, but that depends.

As second egg dish I made some sort of rolled egg. 卵焼き




Rolled egg fascinates me since long ago. It is a japanese dish but I arranged some easter settings (herbs) to this version:
  • 2 eggs beaten with a fork, without foaming
  • 1 tablespoon chopped spring herbs as chervil, chive, cress
  • 1 pinch instant dashi powder
  • a few drops soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons water, hot

Stir dashi powder in hot water, let cool. Stir with soy sauce to the eggs.
Heat a non stick pan with a little oil. I don't have a rectangle shaped japanese pan 巻き焼き鍋 only a common round shaped pan. So this will be a little tricky.
Add 1/4 of the eggs in the upper half of the pan, try to fix it to a long and thin shape. Let sit on medium high heat, sprinkle with 1/4 of herbs. With a spatule push the egg (think omlette) to the middle of the pan (without destroying it) add another 1/4 of eggs directly near this first part - spreading to the pan side (upper half of the pan)- sprinkle with herbs, flap the first part over this. Push egg roll to the middle, add another 1/4 of eggs near this up to side of the pan, sprinkle with herbs, flap the now first part over and so on.
Don't overcook the eggs. It is ok to flap when they are still looking a little bit wet. At least let the roll slide on a bamboo mat and roll the mat around. Wrap in tin foil and let sit for 10 minutes.
This may not be the perfect method but it works somehow.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Does egg consumption skyrocket around this time of year in Germany and other European countries!?

As you may know, a bamboo mat is commonly used to get the tamago yaki into shape, but I'm not sure about the tin(?) foil. As I said in my blog, I don't use a bamboo mat (because it's hard to wash it clean), and use a paper towel instead. I usually additionally heat mine in the microwave to make sure it's fully cooked (this is important when you put it in a bento).

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Yes, easter is high time for eggs. I don't know how they manage to supply us with this huge amounts of eggs around easter (suddenly much more hens but where do they keep them and what do they do afterwards with those animals?). I wash the bamboo mat in hot soap water using a soft brush and after rinsing with clear water I rinse again with boiling water and let the mat dry. I am proud to say that in over 35 years of me cooking there was never a case of desease caused by low hygienic standards (knock on wood...).

The tin foil keeps the eggs warm so they will "cook" a little longer.