Donnerstag, 15. März 2012

Tofu-Dangos

Today I made a colourful vegetable stir fry with tofu - nothing special. Just lots of different vegetables cut into chopstick friendly slices, tofu slices stir fried in little oil. Afterwards spiced up with soy sauce, hot black bean sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and sesame seeds.
I had tofu left over and decided to make tofu-dango as a sweet dish in addition afterwards.


tofu-dangos: soy sauce and black sesame coating

The recipes called for silken tofu but I had some common, more firm tofu only.  So I simply put the glutenious rice flour (100 g)  and the tofu (100 g cut ins smaller cubes) into a blender bowl and blended (immersion blender) until the flour got the structure of slightly moist and fine sand. I added a few tablespoons water - only a little water until the rice flour were put together - and knead a dough by hand until smooth and slightly elastic. For the dangos I formed dough pieces into marbles.
rice flour-tofu balls sitting on a slightly oiled steamer rack
The dangos were put in a steamer and steamed over medium high heat for about 20 minutes.
Afterwards I just sticked them up onto bamboo skrewers. Half I dipped in the hot water and turned them in black sesame sugar coating (1 tablespoon sesame seeds : 1 tablespoon sugar; ground in an electric grinder).  The other half I basted with soy sauce sugar sirup (1 sugar : 1 mirin: 1/2 soy sauce - cooked until sirup forms)
Very addicting chewy little devils but only tasty while warm (husband didn't like the soy sauce coating...)

Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

It sounds like something I would adore. The stickiness, the sesame seeds, the soy sauce and the cute skewers... Tofu mixture with rice flour seems very original (at least for me).

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I am always curious about japanese sweets. Just had to try these out. And so easy to prepare! I like the sweet soy sauce coating - but it is special. Black sesame coating reminds a lot on something made with poppy seeds - poppy seeds could make a good coating too. There should also be a coating made from roasted soy beans and sugar, which I knew from mochi making, but I had no soy beans in storage.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Good job!

Coincidentally, I've been thinking about making mitarashi dango for months. I will boil mine, not steam them. Or, maybe I'll use leftover rice (laugh).

I know some similar recipes call for silken not momen, and I wonder why. I'd prefer momen.

Your last comment, only tasty while warm, makes me wonder. Dango should be tasty when cool. In fact, I've seldom had warm dango.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Concerning tasty while warm - it is the mouthfeeling. I think still warm the dango is more chewy. After cooling down it is chewy too, but not that soft chewy. I cannot wait to see your dango recipe.