Freitag, 23. März 2012

Quick and easy Kimchi

I visited the asia food store to restock on soy sauce, mirin, rice and such. While searching the japanese - korean section I found something new: Kimchi starter-spice-mix.
I bought one bag - just out of curiosity. Dry and powdered ingredients: salt, chilli, ginger, garlic, sweet chilli, shrimps, sugar, onion, citric acid. Sound good to me. So today I started preparing kimchi.
The manual tells:

Take
1 carrot, cut in pieces
3 spring onions, chop
100g chinese turnip/beet, cut in pieces (I have never seen this vegetable, took a piece of daikon instead)
Mix Vegetables with starter and devide in two equal parts.

1 kg chinese cabbage, cut in halves lengthwise, stem removed

Put spice-starter-vegetable mix on each cabbage leave. Close in a plastic container. Let rest 1 day in the fridge. Cut cabbage in pieces, let rest 2 days in the fridge. Kimchi is ready. Can be stored up to one month in the fridge.



I spread the mix between the cabbage leaves, put the two cabbage halves together again and stored the cabbage in a plastic bag. The mixture was already smelly - yes, definitely kimchi.
In 3 days we will see.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Fully fermented in three days?
Let's see how it will turn out!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I don't think it will be fully fermented. It is just some sort of pickling (salt, acid).