Freitag, 30. März 2012

Just a piece of cake

Today I visited my dentist. It is quite annoying getting older. A few days ago I did bite into a sandwich heartfully and suddenly found one of my molars gone, the tooth just gave up... Lucky they did not harm me today  but  I will be under heavy reconstruction at the end of next month (so not funny, soft food and pain killers recommended).
I arrived home earlier than thought and decided to clean up my kitchen. Found 4 rather old aged apples, not that fresh and crisp anymore. Perfect for a pie.



piece of cake


I made a small version of a southern german apple cake - the name can be described as "apple cake with a lid". It is very similiar to american or english apple pies.
First I made the short cake crust dough:
  • 250 g flour
  • 125 g butter, cold, cubed
  • 60 g sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tablespoon milk
Rub butter with flour and sugar, salt, add egg yolk and knead a still crumbly dough (work quickly).
Fill half of the crumbles into a pie mould or small springform. I layered the form with a piece of parchment paper first. Flatten the crumbles into a dough layer. It does not need to look perfect.
Add milk to the other half and knead. Keep in the fridge for 20 minutes. Roll a rather thinnly dough layer with a rolling pin (best to be done between two sheets of cling film).
For the filling:
  • 4 apples, no crips apples go for softer cooking apples
  • 3 - 4 tablespoons brown sugar, depends on the sweetness of the apples and cider
  • 1 good pinch cinnamon
  • 1/4 vanilla pod, split open
  • 3 tablespoons currants
  • 1 tablespoon starch
  • 200 ml apple wine / cider
  • 1 egg
  • brown sugar to sprinkle on
Peel, core and cut apples into quarters and afterwards into slices. Soak currants and vanilla pod in cider for 1 hour beforehand. Add cider (set 3 tablespoons aside), apple slices and sugar into a pot and boil for 3 minutes, add currants.  Stir starch with the cider (set aside) until smooth, add to the boiling apples and stir well  it will thicken in a blink.  Remove vanilla pod. Set aside. Add the egg after a few minutes, the apple sauce has to be cooled down a bit or the egg will get boiled, and stir a little.
Bake short cake layer for 10 minutes at 180 C. Fill in the thick apple sauce, cover with the dough layer, cut and form a nice rim. Make a few incisions into the cake dough lid and sprinkle with a little brown sugar.
Bake cake (or pie) at 180 C about 30 minutes or until golden.
Let cool. Serve with whipped cream - additionaly I sprinkled a little cinnamon on top of the whipped cream.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for showing us another southern German recipe!

It looks like it's really a "piece of cake" to you!

Sissi hat gesagt…

I really feel for you. I hope next visits will go smoother than you think.
The cake looks fantastic! When I have some leftover apples I usually make an easy layered cake with semolina.