Sonntag, 18. März 2012

In the aftermath of drinking Mai Tais - noodle salad

Today my slightly disturbed stomach and head, did you ever drank lots of devilish American Mai tai based on Makers Mark - you know what I mean - was in need of something light and easy going with my intestines.
Looking into the vegetable storage I decided on a quick noodle salad.

Noodle salad - Thai style
I took:
  • Thai Rice noodles (80 g), cooked and rinsed with cold water - I used some more larger noodles not vermicellis
  • 2 carrots, cut in julienne
  • 1/2 medium sized daikon, cut in julienne
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 spring onion, sliced
  • 2 red shalotts, sliced
  • 1 knob ginger, grated
  • salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce (Nam plah)
  • 2 tablespoons and a bit more dried shrimps
  • 1 hot chilli pepper, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • a little bit oil
  • more chilli if in need
Sprinkle a good pinch salt on carrot-, daikon- and bell pepper stripes and let sit for 30 minutes. Squeeze and rinse with cold water, squeeze to drain. Salt is good for drunkyards...
In a non stick pan fry shalott slices and dried shrimps until onions are nicly roasted. Just use a few drops oil to catch the fragrance. Add sugar, ginger, chilli pepper, lemon juice, fish sauce, stir well, add to a bowl.
Add noodles and spring onion slices and vegetables stripes and toss well. I would have added green coriander leaves too, but I had none.
At least I added a little indonesian chilli paste to my bowl. Cured me in an instant.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Rice noodles again! I'd like to try them some day.

You put all those ingredients in your sald to cure your hangover?! I'd rather have some water, barley tea, green tea, or something, wait for my stomach to heal naturally, and take a "morning bath" (asaburo 朝風呂) if I have the time.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Don't get me wrong. I had lots of water and tea but could not eat anything. I ate this salad in the afternoon after (laugh).

Sissi hat gesagt…

I felt ignorant so I checked what mai tai was and now you have inspired me to make this cocktail one day! The noodle salad sounds delicious. I usually crave really very unhealthy food when I have a hangover (hamburgers, deep-fried meat, pizza...).

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: Mai tai is an old classic, still my favorite cocktail. I cannot eat something fatty after a night out. But I am always craving for salty and sour and maybe some sort of fish afterwards.