Samstag, 3. März 2012

Black and white cheesecake

Today I made a small cheesecake, which is not too sweet and heavy. Preparation method reminds on New York cheesecake but I did not use double cream cheese. Double cream cheese results in a heavy cheese filling (mouthfeeling: fatty fresh concrete) - tasty but way too stuffing and not nice to my stomach and hips. So this is a lean version of New York Cheesecake.




dark part flavored with chocolate, white part with Tonka bean and Amarettini

You need
  • 500 g fresh cheese (Quark). Quark is very healthy (lots of calcium and lean), medium fat version.
  • 125 g yoghurt, 3.5 fat
  • 3 small eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 heaped tablespoons finely grated dark chocolate
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
  • 1 small pinch tonka bean, freshly grated
  • handful small italian almond cookies (Amarettini: made from egg white, sugar, sweet and bitter almonds)
  • 6 shortcake cookies
  • 2 tablespoons butter, soft about 50 g
  • butter for the mould

Heat the oven up to 200 C, fill hot water into a baking sheet (2 cm up) and place it in the oven.
Mix sugar and  eggs until fluffy, mix in cheese, tonka bean, flour and yoghurt until well combined. Careful with the tonka bean! Use only a little - think nutmeg. Too much tonka bean tastes very funny but not good at all. Using the right amount tonka bean leads to a wonderful vanilla and something else flavor.
Divide the cheese batter into two parts. Mix chocolate and 1 teaspoon cocoa (real cocoa) into one part.

Crumble shortcake cookies with a rolling pin: Just fill them into a freezer bag and roll a few times over the bag until the cookies are finely crumbled. Stir cookie crumbles with soft butter.
Take a small springform mould (18 cm) fill the crumbles into the buttered mould and spread even. Place some italian cookies here and there and cover with the white batter. If you cannot find Amarettini just leave them out. They simply add a small nice surprising almond flavor, if you find one, while eating the cake.
Carefully spread the chocolate batter over the white batter.
Wrap the bottom of the mould up to 4 cm high (to the mould side) in a sheet of aluminium foil.  Place the mould into the hot water on the baking sheet. The aluminium foil should prevent the water from leaking into the mould. Why water? This cake needs a humid baking surrounding or there will appear some cracks in the surface of the cake later on. This method is called  poaching a cheesecake.
Bake 10 minutes at 200 C and afterwards 30 minutes on 180 C. Don't open the oven during this time. The cake is done when there are no signs of wetness of the surface at the center of the cake. Let cake sit in the oven for 10 more minutes (heat turned off). Let cool down and place in the fridge. Ready to be eaten after 2 hours. Dust with 1 teaspoon cocoa.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

2-colored cheesecake with tonka beans (I didn't know anything about them) is quite intriguing! And, I'm all for your type of cheesecake, not too sweet and heavy!

Sissi hat gesagt…

Kiki, it looks delicious! I also use quark cheese for cheesecakes! I absolutely hate Philadelphia style cheesecakes. They don't have the pleasant tangy taste that natural cheese (quark) gives.
I have never made chocolate + white, but have already experimented with two colours (white+violet from blueberries etc.).

Sissi hat gesagt…

Oh, and I have discovered tonka bean about a year ago and love it. I still haven't added it to chocolate but a friend told me it's great with chocolate too.
Did you know tonka is forbidden in the US?

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hi Sissi, yes Tonka bean is forbidden in the US (FDA victims). But the dosage makes the poison (as always). I like the flavor very much. Very good for all kinds of vanilla infused sweet dishes as icecream, crema catalana, cream for homemade chocolates and such. My liver is still fine and I am sure, if ever I will get some troubles concerning my liver, those will not be related to Tonka bean. More to blame good italian and french red wine and Mai Tais.

Sissi hat gesagt…

"FDA victims". I love the expression :-) I find it so stupid to forbid some products only because in huge amounts they cause problems.
I would say the same as you, but in my case it would be German white wine and French red ;-) Although on the other hand, I am quite a regular (but not excessive) wine drinker for years and I must say I have very good liver test results, so I suppose maybe one has to eat very heavy food and drink lots, lots of alcohol really.