Sonntag, 26. Februar 2012

German pork roast

There exists nothing more typically german than Schweinebraten: pork roast. Since ancient times pork is the alltime favorite.
my plate: oven vegetables, carrots, roast
this is a small part of the fat side - crunchy

Today I made a huge sunday roast (I thought huge) which I do rather seldom. This is a dish for a bigger family and not for two persons only. But you cannot get a good pork roast out of just a small piece of meat.
So I bought 1.5 kg pork, ham (butt) side with skin and fat attached - fat side cut crosswise (diamond cuts). This is very important for a juicy roast. Pork roast without fat will never lead to something good.
I could choose between cured or uncured pork and diceded on uncured since I cured it on my own with a dry rub of spices and salt for 24 hours.

For a 1.5 kg roast:
dry rub
  • 1 teaspoon roughly ground caraway
  • 1 teaspoon more or less roughly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon sweet chilli powder
  • 1 pinch ground allspice
  • 3 juniper berries ground together with the salt, see below
  • 1 very good pinch dried thyme leaves
  • 1-1.5  tablespoon salt, did not measure it
Rub the meat with this mixture, put the meat into a plastic bag and let sit in the fridge turning the bag 2-3 times for 24 hours.
Take the meat out of the fridge and let it rest until it got room temperature (1 hour).
Heat a big roasting pan (with lid) with only a little oil and sear the pork from all sides until browned, add some chopped pork bones (handful cutlet bones or small ribs). While roasting the fat side add roasting vegetables
  • 3 onions cut into wedges,
  • 1 quarter of a cellery - diced, 
  • 5 carrots peeled but not sliced. 
Add 1 tablespoon tomatoe paste and 2 laurel leaves and let it roast while stirring with the vegetables (just place the vegetables around the meat). Deglace everything with 1/2 bottle (1 bottle=330 ml) of dark rich malty beer. Put the lid on and store the pan in the oven at 200 C for 45 minutes - the fat side still down. Drop temperature to 180 C and flip the roast over: the fat side should be upside. Roast the pork for 1.5 hours without lid on. From time to time add some more beer just make sure to rinse the meat with it. When the beer is gone, rinse / baste with the cooking juice and additional 1 cup water - make sure there is always liquid in the pan - not much but enough or there will be some "stick to burning" according the vegetables. Use a meat thermometer to get the right doneness, 80 C is good, higher up it will get too dry.
Let the roast sit on a cutting board for 15 minutes to relax. Meanwhile strain the cooking liquid. Get rid of the bones, squeeze onion and cellery remains lightly into the strainer and rinse the remains with a little additional water and squeeze again but dont get any onion pulp or cellery into the cooking juice. Put the caramelized carrots aside beforehand to serve with the meat. Heat up the sauce and let it thicken lightly while whisking in 1 teaspoon arrow root flour stirred with a little water (sauce should be about 350 ml). Adjust seasoning, but I only added a little freshly ground pepper, salt content was fine with me.
I prepared some oven vegetables together with the roast: just:
  • very small potatoes cut in halves,
  • 1 big fennel bulb, cut in wedges,
  •  3 onions cut into wedges, 
  • 2 bell peppers cut in quarters and 
  • a little rosemary, 
  • coarse sea salt and 
  • olive oil, 
  • 1 garlic glove 
tossed and afterwards baked in a flat pan. I placed the vegetable pan in the oven during the last 45 minutes of the roast, using the surround system of the oven (you can bake and roast at more than one tray at the same time).
Traditionally this is served with bread or potatoe dumplings and maybe white cabbage (sweet bavarian style with lots of caraway) or red cabbage (sweet sour stewed) but I liked to have some oven vegetables instead.
I thought this to be a rather huge roast and I could just freeze some of it and additional put thinnly cut slices in a vinegar-oil-onion marinade for sandwiches and have the rest tomorrow for dinner... but husband ate 4 servings (not always with vegetables, the meat, the meat and sauce you know) - he simply wolved it down!!!

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thank you for showing another typical German dish. I would love to have a few slices of your pork roast and much of the vegetables your husband left uneaten!

Sissi hat gesagt…

It sounds terrific! Pork roast was the only roast my mum used to make (and still does) and the only one I make too (apart from rare turkey breast roasts, but these are usually baked and chilled for home-made cold meat for sandwiches).
I totally agree some fat is necessary, but I have also discovered that very lean parts can be less dry if stuffed with lots of dried apricots or prunes.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hiroyuki: I would like to give you some slices but it is too far away. Tourists really like to eat pork roast while visiting Germany.

Sissi: Oh yes the fat. I am ashamed to say but I trimmed my slice of the roast. I always cut off the crust and the fat beneath and hand it over to husband (laugh).
Whenever I make lean pork loin roast I fill the loin with damaszene plums or mushrooms/bacon mix or fresh goat cheese, herbs and dried tomatoes.