Mittwoch, 1. Februar 2012

Fighting the cold

Temperature still going down. Maybe we will have to face -15 C tonight. Yesterday I watched a lot of cranes heading southwestward. They flew really fast, always changing the lead. Poor guys were riding the deep freeze wind coming from russia.
We have to stay and deal with it somehow. One way to fight the cold is to drink something warming.



I made some hot apple, warming, healthy, not too sweet.
 without alcohol (some vodka would give a nice zing)

Easy:
1 l good apple juice
 3 star anise
1 big cinnamon stick
6 gloves
a huge knob fresh ginger sliced into a few thick slices
1 lime, half of the peel (only the green part) cut into strips and juice
200 ml water
1 twig rosemary

Add spices and rosemary, ginger, zest and lime juice to the apple juice. Let sit min. 30 minutes to infuse. Add water and heat it up until hot. Enjoy after 10 minutes.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I need that drink right now! Many areas of Japan, including mine, are suffering from heavy snowfalls!

Is that drink your original recipe?

Sissi hat gesagt…

I love this warming drink! Very original (I have never heard about anything similar). We also have particularly low temperatures (-5 during the day in my part of Switzerland is terrifying!).

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I created this drink many years ago when our son was small. We parents had mulled wine after a winter stroll over a frozen lake, but alcohol was a no go for his age. So I made him mulled wine for kids (laugh). For more sweetness just don't add any water.

Hiroyuki: I have just seen some pictures of the current snow condition in Niigata. I hope the weather forecast is telling lies but we may see lots of snow at the weekend too. This morning we had -12.5 C outside as I climbed in my car. Driving with gloves on is so not fun but I could not touch my gear stick properly (it is whole metal, brushed aluminium).