Dienstag, 21. Februar 2012

Another garbage day meal

Sorry, at the moment I don't have enough time to write much. In only a few weeks there will be a huge and famous fair and I have to prepare our marketing material and order technical equipment for our booth. The software is not finalised yet, a lot of testing involved and there are some other projects and as cherry on my cream an internal revision takes place (god this always comes during crunch times). It is nothing to worry about but I don't have time for these guys. I just have to feed them with tons of data on demand (as I would have time for this) and afterwards they will tell I did spent way too much money and the return of invest is too low and cut fonds. Therefor nothing interesting happens in the kitchen just quick and simple meals with something in storage.
Today I had some leftover cooked thick and short maccaroni, a little ham, some vegetables. So I made something most people know for leftovers some sort of mac and cheese gratin:

Gratin fresh out of the oven
just a small amount gratin
 I roasted
  • 1/2 small broccoli, cut in smaller pieces,
  • 1 small pointed yellow bell pepper,
  • 1 small pointed red bell pepper,
  • 1/4 piece of leek,
cut into stripes, in a non stick pan with only a little oil, until nearly soft but still firm and crunchy.  No more cooking, set aside! 
I added:
  • 100 ml leftover cream,
  • 100 ml skimmed milk,
  • 1 heaped teaspoon starch (disolved in a little milk),
  • 2 tablespoons grated cheese (leftover cheese parmesan and cheddar),
  • 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning (spice mixture of sweet chili powder, pepper, allspice, dried garlic),
  • 1 small pinch nutmeg and black pepper,
  • 1 pinch thyme leaves,
  • 1 very good pinch salt,
  • 1 big slice juicy ham, cut in stripes,
  • 2 extralarge eggs, slightly beaten,
  •  leftover maccaroni (maybe 200 g cooked noodles).
mix with the lukewarm vegetables and fill mixture in a buttered mold. I covered the top with a handful of crunched panko flakes and some butter flakes too and baked it about 25 minutes in the oven until golden (180-200 C).  My husband doesn't like strong tasting cheese that much. The cheese flavour has to be subtile. For cheese lovers just add more, also for topping.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thank you for taking time out from you busy schedule to write about your dish.

As always, I'm impressed with the number of ingredients, seasonings, and spices that go into your dish.

(Coincidentally, I made eryngii gratin for supper last night, which is a mere combination of chicken thigh, onions, eryngii, flour, milk, salt, and some instant dashi, topped with panko and natural cheese.)

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Now I think I understand what this German sentence means!

Geben Sie die beiden Worter ein:

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

The sentence means:
"Type the two words."
I should switch to english labels.

Besides: we love to use lots of herbs and spices which results into blended flavours. Japanese recipes are more pure/clean. Therefor the japanese cuisine is highly praised.