Samstag, 7. Januar 2012

Sweet-Potatoe-Pie

Weekend, rain, time to bake a small cake. I had some leftovers in the fridge - bought too many food for the holiday season: cream cheese (best before date was already over), sweet potatoes (shrinking), eggs to use up, so I decided to make a pie.

But first I had to throw out the christmas tree. Today I managed to undecorate it single handed because my mom called and whenever my mom is at the telephone line there is no helping and I had the phone in one hand (should buy a headset).  Reminds me - I put this cake in the oven just when my mom called - so I am not quite sure about the baking time...

Ingredients
2  sweet potatoes, cooked until soft, afterwards peeled, mashed
200 g double-cream cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 pinch nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 bag vanilla sugar
1 tablespoon corn starch or other starch
some sultanas, just a spoon or two (leftover from christmas baking)
3 tablespoons or a good sip rum
zestes from 1 small orange
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds

Pie crust:
6 tablespoons flour
100 g butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1  pinch salt

Directions
Put zestes and sultanas into the rum and let infuse. If you don't like sultanas just leave them out.
Cut cold butter in small cubes, mix flour, sugar and salt and rub in the butter until coarse crumbles form, kneat a dough ball, warp in foil and let sit 30 minutes in the fridge.
Preheat oven at 175 degree C.
Roll out dough and line a pie mould. Pinch with a fork for a few times. Bake for 12 minutes at 175 degree Celsius.
Mix potatoe mash, starch, eggs, sugars, spices until smooth, whisk in rum with zestes and sultanas. Pour filling into the pie crust.
 Bake at (175 degrees C for 50 to 60 minutes - middle of the cake should look dry. Pie will puff up like a souffle, and then will sink down as it cools. Turn out heat and let pie rest 10 minutes in the oven. Don't ever open the oven during the first 40 minutes of baking!!!

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Sweet potato pie... Sounds really delicious! But I guess I should refrain from having it for now.

My children put away our Christmas tree on December 26. In Japan, Christmas is just a one night or one night and one day event.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

The Christmas tree season ends tradionally after "Three Kings" / 6th of January because this date marks the end of the christmas season. Sometimes I throw it out right after New Year's Eve - depends on the tree (losing leaves or not).