Samstag, 7. Januar 2012

Just a snack: Daikon-Carrot-Salad with dried persimmon

Today I did not cook anything. Just had some brioche with foie gras pâté (leftover from the holiday season) but I needed something sweet sour too. So I took pickles: pickled sweet-sour honey-pumpkin and pickled zucchini my mother prepared in jars. And I decided on fresh vegetables: Daikon and carrot.


I took
1/2 small Daikon,
1 carrot,
1 lemon, juice and a pinch of peel, grated
1/2 persimmon,  slices
2 tablespoons mirin,
1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar,
salt

After peeling the vegetables I used a julienne knife to cut the daikon and carrot in long thin stripes. I tossed the stripes with some salt and let sit about 15 minutes. Afterwards I rinsed the stripes and squeezed them dry.
I mixed the salad sauce and tossed the stripes together with pesimmon, cut in slices. Dried persimmons taste exactly like manjool dates. Dates would be a good substitute.
This was the first time my husband had some dried persimmon. He liked it very much and asked me if we could make a lot more - there are still persimmons on the market. I am going to buy some more but I will try to dry them in the attic. Outside is no option due to the weather conditions (too moist).

1 Kommentar:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Wow, your salad looks like namasu! I don't like namasu because it's overly sweet. Yours sounds much more appetizing!

That reminds me. I have to make some salad like yours, using yuzu.