Dienstag, 17. Januar 2012

Garbage day - Stir fry with peanut sauce

Every tuesday we have to prepare the garbage so tuesdays is fridge cleaning day - get rid of leftovers.
Looking at my vegetable storage I decided to make something with most of the lot. Just a simple stir fry
with noodles.


I found::
1/2 small china cabbage (only the bottom part),
1/2 cauliflower,
1 carrot,
some mushrooms,
1 single spring onion,
1 red pointed bell pepper
1 handful runner beans.
There was also 1 package (250 g)  fresh italian pasta in the fridge (egg noodles) and I had 1 chicken breast in the freezer.
I cut the bell pepper and carrot in strips, mushrooms and spring onion in slices, broke and cut the cauliflower in little pieces, cut the cabbage in bigger strips. Minced 1 knob ginger and 1 garlic glove and grinded 3 tablespoons roasted peanuts into a coarsely flour (electric mill!).
I stir fried the vegetables in a little oil and sesame oil, just for 3 minutes and added
1 cup water,
1 tablespoon hot black bean paste,
2 tablespoons soy sauce,
1 tablespoon honey,
1 dash nam plah,
1 teaspoon instant-dashi  powder. 
I steamed the vegetables a few minutes until the cauliflower was still crunchy but nice to eat and I stirred in the peanuts and let the sauce thicken a bit (just 1-2 minutes).
Meanwhile I cut the chicken breast in thin slices. I tossed the slices in a little soy sauce and sprinkled 1 teaspoon starch and tossed it again. Afterwards I stir fried the chicken in another non stick pan with just a few drops oil. I  put the chicken to the vegetables and deglaced the pan with just a little water which I also added to the vegetables ( I did not want to overcook the chicken). The pasta was cooked in 3 minutes. Mix everything and done - adjust seasoning (maybe salt).

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

The peanut sauce sounds good, but may be high in calories...

Every Tuesday? You mean that garbage is collected every Tuesday ONLY?

Here in my area, moeru gomi (burnable barbage) days are every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. We also have other garbage days for moenai gomi (non-burnable barge) and recyclable barbage.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Kiki, I love your garbage day idea! I will try also making one garbage day a week. As all the garbage dishes this one looks excellent (one of our favourite dishes is fried rice and I always do it with leftovers and often it's so much better than the elaborate expensive dishes I have made during the previous days...)
Like Hiroyuki, I wonder if your garbage is taken only once a week. We have paper garbage only once a week, but the rest is taken every day.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Yes, every tuesday (once a week). They collect garbage for recycling (separated into different types: paper, plastic, organic) and the little leftover waste which cannot be recycled. We have containers near the house to store the garbage during the week. Every 4 weeks it is electronic trash and such. But that is really typical in Germany.

Besides: calorie content of the dish - it is not that fat. Lots of vegetables, pasta, little lean meat and some peanuts - only little oil. I use non stick pans.