Montag, 9. Januar 2012

Dried sardines - caramelized

Hiroyuki posted a nice recipe for sugary dried sardines with almonds. Therefor I searched our local asia stores for dried small sardines high and low. And today I was sucessful - finally: I found small dried sardines (Anchovis) not stored in the shelves but in the freezer section - who would have thought to search for dried goods in a freezer.. beats me. I visited the store during lunch break and had a nice long quick stroll which should be good for the health even it was raining cats and dogs. So I worked hard for these little beasts.
Here they are:

I took half of them (50 g) and put them in the microwave flat layered on a plate for 1.20 minutes.
Started to smell very "fish" quickly.
Meanwhile I heated 1.5 tablespoons sugar with 0.5 tablespoon water. Just melting on medium heat.
I filled in the fish and stirred once - and than it happend: caramelization. Should not happen that quick but it did. What I got is caramelized fish - very crunchy and crisp. Not bitter but a very unusual taste. How to describe 150% fish sweet and very salty. They don't look like the fish in Hiroyukis blog. They should not caramelize. Theres no helping, damage done - but still somehow tasty.
I had to put the exhaustion fan to the max but the smell still lingers...

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

You are like a detective! I hope they are equivalent to Japanese niboshi 煮干し (lit. boiled and dried).
First dry them until crip in a microwave (or in a pan).
Put sugar and water in a pan, turn on the heat, dissolve sugar, and then add sardines. Avoid heating sardines until browned; otherwise the sardines will be bitter.

I hope you like your sweetened fish!

Sissi hat gesagt…

Congratulations for your find, Kiki! As I was saying at Hiroyuki's blog, I would happily send them if you didn't find them.
I'm looking forward to see the recipe(s).

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

>very salty

Sorry to hear that your dried fish seems not equivalent to Japanese niboshi. Niboshi is NOT salty.

I really wonder why caramelization occured so quickly.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

良かった My husband simply loves them - munched quite a lot.