Samstag, 10. Dezember 2011

Just a snack: Octopus Wiener

A few days ago I found one of my favorite mangas online in english translation. It is called Shinya Shokudo (midnight canteen) and all stories take place in a small japanese bar after midnight, where the master serves only a few cheap dishes a la carte. But many more dishes due to his customers needs while you get to know something about their troubled life. My reading skills are still not good enough for reading japanese mangas in their language properly. It takes a few hours and much scrolling in my kanji dictionary (using this is a science of its own, which radical, how many strokes...) for a few pages. Guess how happy I was, when I found the first english issues. I cooked the dish from the first issue called "red weenies" - not rocket science but comfy food: Just small sausages with 3 crossing cuts made on one end and afterwards fried in a pan. The cut ends jump open and the sausage turns into the shape of a baby octopus.


And this is my husbands share, just small sausages called "Cocktail Wiener", cabbage-carrot salad with satsuma juice, soy sauce, sesame oil dressing:


I had lots of salad and only 3 sausages (damn I would like to eat some more) - they have high fat content...

Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

I feel in a better mood every time I read anything about Shinya Shokudo. i have also already made these octopus sausages.
By the way, I don't want to boast, but I have posted your German salad a couple of days ago... I am a bit scared what you will think of my result ;-) I loved the taste and made it twice last week.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: I read about the salad. I am glad you liked it. Actually I broke my sugar thermometer. Today I planned to make honeycomb toffee but without the right temperature control there is no way. So I posted about the sausages (laugh).

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

The salad sounds delicious! Satsuma (mikan?) juice and soy sauce? A great combination!

Kanji no benkyo, ganbatte ne!
漢字の勉強、頑張ってね!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

はい、頑張ります!