Montag, 19. Dezember 2011

Hot and spicy vegetable stew with Cabanossi sausage – mexican style

On saturday we went out with friends (20 people) having a big duck and goose feast at a rural inn. We visit this inn a few times a year to enjoy down to earth seasonal food. It was yummy as always but way too much and typical german: lots and lots of meat, heavy sauce, roasted potatoes and/or potatoe dumplings and some red cabbage stew: Vegetables play a minor role in this inn. The goose was a little dry and the ducks very soft (husband whispered he rather would eat my peking duck) but it was not bad at all. So we did dig in.
I don’t know why, but germans are addicted to meat: No meal is complete withour meat and some say germans even eat meat breakfast, lunch and supper and inbetween – maybe they are right. In ancient times when germans lived with their clan in clay and straw houses, prayed to horses, trees and cruel gods, they did fight a lot inbetween and against the romans and went into battles with bleached hair, naked and sometimes painted blue. After such battles they ate lots of pork roast. And the best fighter got the best and biggest piece of the roasted pig called the heroe piece. Maybe this is still running in our genes…eat lots of pork and such...having your daily heroe piece…

Yesterday I used only a little meat (in german terms) after the big duck and goose feast:
I cooked a big pot of vegetable stew with one sausage.

stew


1 medium garlic sausage, type Cabanossi
4 red pointed sweet bell pepper, cut in bigger chunks
1 big carrot, diced
3 tablespoons celery, cut in small dices
3 onions, diced
½ Hokkaido pumpkin, peeled, without seeds and cut in cubes (2 cm x 2 cm)
1 handful thin string beans (blanched)
1 small can tomatoe chunks and juice
1 small can kidney beans, rinsed
1 big red chilli poblano, chopped
2 starfish chilli, chopped
1 pinch smoked chilli powder
1 pinch cumin
2 pinches cinnamon
1 pinch allspice, freshly grind
1 pinch pepper, black, freshly grind
1 pinch orgeno
1 bunch cilandro (green coriander) leaves, chopped
1 dash fish sauce
salt

First I roasted onions and Cabanossi sausage (cut in slices), until onions were translucent and Cabanossi a little browned (if one don't like sausages this stew goes well with chicken or turkey cubes or even with tofu too). I did not use any additional fat. I added bell pepper, chillies, carrot and celery, stir fried this a little more. Afterwards I added tomatoe chunks/juice, kidney beans and a little salt.
This had to simmer about 10 minutes with a lid on. After 10 minutes I added the spices, oregano, string beans, and pumpkin cubes: 10 more minutes to go with a lid on until pumpkin was soft.  Before serving I sprinkled the cilandro and adjusted the seasonings. We had it with rice.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I had to do some googling to find what "Hokkaido pumpkin" is! I learned another thing from your blog!

In Japan, no meal is complete without rice! I would feel that I missed something at the end of the day if I didn't have rice in at least one of the three meals.

I don't know why, but the video does not work for me.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

They sell this type of pumpkin named Hokkaido so I thought it is common knowledge but in fact it is 栗カボチャ kuri kabocha.
In northern germany no meal seems to be complete without potatoes, in southern without noodles or dumplings - and meat (laugh). I first had to train my husband on noodles and dumplings.. Now we both eat much more rice and lots of fish and less meat.
Which video?

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

The big frame just below the title. Am I the only one who sees it?

Sissi hat gesagt…

It's so funny! There are Polish sausages called kabanosy (they are very thin and smoked and especially delicious when very dry), but they have got nothing to do with the Cabanossi I think.
The dish looks delicious and very original.
Hiroyuki, I don't see the frame. Maybe it depends on the browser. I use Safari.