Sonntag, 11. Dezember 2011

First attempt of trying to make Ramen right from the scratch

It is sunday - time for some kitchen experiments. The last days we discussed this issue in Hiroyukis blog and just a few minutes ago I ate my first home made Ramen noodles:
Spicy tomatoe - egg flower/drop soup

For the Ramen dough I used:
200 g strong wheat flour

brine:
1 g potassium carbonate
1 g baking soda
75 g water

125 ml water for dough
no salt
flour, baking soda and potassium carbonate (potash)

First I boiled 75 ml water and added the potassium carbonate and the baking soda.  This will foam a little but no worries. After the brine was cooled down, I added it together with flour and 1/2? cup water into the kitchen engine (about the amount of water I am not quite sure because I added it little by little). The dough turned yellow in an instant and it was quite hard to kneat. I let the engine run for about 10 minutes on medium speed. Don't try this with weak engines, mine is a big engine for heavy doughs, for example bread dough, and it had to struggle hard.
Afterwards I wrapped the dough in foil and let it rest 1 hour.

1 hour later I simply rolled it out with a rolling pin. I have planned to use my pasta maker but I could not find it. What happend to it, I wonder. So I had to use a rolling pin, what a pain... I rolled the dough until it had the size of the baking board, folded it twice and rolled it out again and again. I dusted the dough with a little flour and rolled it up and cut it in small slices. I unwrapped the slices and strechted / pulled the single noodles a little by swinging because they seemed to be a little too thick. This went very well because the dough was still quite elastic. To be precise some noodles were damaged but most of them survived and afterwards my kitchen looked like a war zone.
still a little too thick and in reality they are lightly yellow coloured

I cooked a simple broth with 1 big garlic glove (sliced), 5 cherry tomatoes cut in quarters (both roasted in a little sesame oil), 1/4 leek - sliced, a good sip soy sauce and 3 cups dashi and a teaspoon sugar, chilli peppers and indonesian chilli paste (2 tablespoons). I dropped 1 lightly beaten egg into the hot soup for egg flowers.

Meanwhile I boiled lightly salted water and cooked the ramen just a few minutes. They tasted very good, not a faint too chemical aftertaste (first I was concerned about the potassium) and were just as chewy as they should be. I will do this again but only with the help from my pasta maker.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

You've done it already? You are very quick!

As long as the kansui is kept to 1-2% of the flour, you won't notice the chemical flavor.

Sorry to hear that your pasta machine has gone somewhere. I hope you find it soon! Your thick noodles remind me of the soba my father makes from scratch. He doesn't have a pasta machine. He also grows soba (buckwheat) and turns it into flour by himself.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Congratulations! I'm sure they tasted great. Nowadays so few people make their own noodles... The presence of potassium is very intriguing.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: People try to avoid such "useless" activities. There are so many different kinds of noodles/pasta (fresh or dried) on sale in the shops - even in our little village super market.
And yes, they tasted good. I am sure I will make some again.