Dienstag, 15. November 2011

Salmon and daikon in miso broth

Salmon and radish in Miso broth

I don't know where I have seen it but it is a very simple dish. Doesn't look that much but it tasted really good.
fish and daikon slices

First you peel some daikon (I used half of a daikon) and cut it in 2 finger hight rounds.
Heat 1 l dashi with some slices of ginger (a big knob), 1-2 tablespoons soysauce, 2 tablespoons mirin, 2 tablespoons sake and cook the daikon on slow heat about 20 minutes.
Add 2 pieces of salmon and simmer about 10 minutes - depends on the fish.  Get fish and daikon out of the pot and reduce the broth just a little, for few minutes. Daikon should be tender, if not there is the chance to simmer it a bit more.
Finally add 1 1/2 tablespoons miso, stir until the miso is disolved and stop heating. Adjust seasoning, maybe add a little salt or soy sauce and a small dash nam plah fits fine (even if it is not japanese). Add a few cuts of green onion into the hot broth and put daikon and salmon back. Close lid and let rest for 2 minutes just to reheat the fish and daikon.
Serving: I served the rice in bowls.  I desolved 1 teaspoon miso in  a few tablespoons broth and sprinkled  a little on the fish as additional flavour.
The broth gives a very nice additional soup.
miso broth

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I can't think of the exact name for your dish, although it's slightly similar to furofuki daikon (ふろふき大根).

It's getting colder; it's time for buri daikon (ぶり大根) and oden!

Sissi hat gesagt…

Kiki, it sounds really good. I have never actually cooked daikon. I have been planning it for several years I think.