Sonntag, 27. November 2011

Potatoe salad southern german style

Today we had steaks with roasted onions and a variety of salads. I prepared rucola salad, potatoe salad, beet root salad. I also served pickled daikon.

The potatoe salad was made without mayonnaise - much more friendly for the hips.


For southern german potatoe salad for 2 you need:
8 medium potatoes (not the floury kind of waxy potatoes)
1/3 cup very good dark beef broth (made from bones and meat) instant will not do
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 good pinch of salt (depends on the saltiness of the broth)
2 tablespoons oil (without any intense flavour - please don't use olive oil)
1 teaspoon mustard
1 pinch sugar
1 small onion, diced finely
1 tablespoon lean small bacon cubes
1 pinch majoram, rubbed between your palms
black pepper
Cook potaotes unpeeled until done but not overdone. Peel very hot and slice. They should not break and crumble that easily.
Meanwhile heat the broth, mix with vinegar, salt, majoram, pepper, oil, mustard, sugar. Soak hot potatoe slices with 1/2 of hot broth, wait a few minutes and add the rest. With this method the potatoes have enough time to suck in the hot liquid and flavours. This salad is very moist. In southern german dialect it is called - a little bit rude but authentic:  pee wet.
Heat a non stick pan and roast the bacon, add the onion and roast until translucent but without colouring. Add to the salad and toss carefully. It is served warm and it has to be shiny and glossy.


I read about kimchee style daikon pickling on Hiroyukis blog.
I had 1/2 daikon in my fridge and therefore I had to give it a go but my way.

I went with a hot brine method I often use for cucumbers or summer squashs to get some quick results. For hot brine heat 1/2 cup of vinegar with 3 tablespoons sugar, 1/2+ teaspoon salt  in a pan. Cover thickly sliced daikon with the hot brine, add 1 garlic glove (sliced) and 1 tablespoon arabian chili paste (Harissa), I thought seaweed would be good too, as mentioned in Hiroyukis blog on another pickling method, so I used a bit. Toss and let rest in the fridge  for a few hours. Shake them once in a while. If you don't like it very spicy reduce the chili paste. (Usually I like to add brown mustard seeds and one dried chili to the hot brine for cucumbers and summersquash but had no mustard seeds in storage). The chili paste was good too although it was not the kimchee base stuff. I made kimchee once in a while with chinese cabbage, coarse sea salt, lots of shredded fresh chili, ginger and garlic and there is not a single bit of sugar in use. So Hiroyukis method is much more near the original method.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I've been curious about German potato salad, and thank you for letting us know what it is!

I can never make your authentic potato salad, but I will make similar potato salad, inspired by yours in the near future. I won't add any mayonnaise! It's too high in calories for me right now because I'm on a diet as you are.

(Besides daikon, my father-in-law gave us a lot of potatoes and sweet potatoes (satsuma imo)!)

Don't mention my way of making kakuteki (laugh); I'm ashamed of my poor method!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hiroyuki: Potatoe salad - there are different recipes available. This is just the way my mother and grandmother made potatoe salad. You may use vegetable instant broth and there is no need to add lean bacon, mustard. Some use parsley and no majoram, some use chives and no majoram. Onion can be added raw. I even make potatoe salad with sliced and blanched leek once in a while. The base is always the same: potatoes, broth, salt, vinegar, oil, onion.

Ruminating Roy hat gesagt…

Fräulein, thank you for sharing that recipe! That's a huge staple of the Texas barbecue and Texas-Deutsch styled meals here, and I've never learned it before.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Kiki, I'm so happy to see this salad! After all I have heard about the delicious German potato salads... I will certainly make it very soon. I only have one question: can I use real chicken stock? I have bought a chicken today and as always, it will be cut up and a part will end up as a stock basis.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: vegetable broth, chicken broth, beef broth - you may use what you have in storage. Some time ago I posted a potatoe salad with baby spinach leave, vegetable broth and pumpkin seed oil.
Nowadays many people use instant broth. For the very original taste beef is it. But other versions taste good too. My late father liked to add worcestershire sauce or Maggi (tastes a bit like marmite).

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Ruminating Roy: Welcome! The intersting thing about recipes from the US is that the US is a melting pot with people from all around the world and they brought with them their family cooking habits. So did lots of germans.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Thank you for the answer. It's funny because I have met people from different countries thinking Maggi was their national treasure ;-) The Swiss think it and when I said once that my mum (definitely not Swiss) has had a bottle of Maggi in her cupboard since I can remember, my Swiss friends were stunned. I always have Maggi at home and use it whenever I want to cook one of my mum's dishes and when I want to obtain a "home" taste. I will add it to the potato salad (my stock is simmering now!). I also have Worcestershire sauce, but first I'll try with Maggi! Thank you!