Mittwoch, 9. November 2011

Last gardening tasks

No more gardening this year. Today I digged out bulbs and plants in high speed because it was getting dark. Most of them will sleep in our basement during winter.The next nights are going to be cold, about -4 C, so time is up. My fig tree shows first signs of frost bite. I wrapped him up in foil. Sadly the fig fruits will not make it this year. The fig started  blooming very late and the fruits are still green and firm.
Last tasks: cut roses and take care of the tree leaves. This looks pretty annoying but has to wait until weekend:

The magnolia tree dropped all of its leaves in one hour or so. Thankfully the rhododendrens are gardners friends keeping their leaves and staying in shape, nothing to deal with later on.
I cut some herbs for drying before they are gone: rosmary, oregano, sage, thyme. And I took the small laurel tree inhouse and also the verveine. November is always the worst month of all.

Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

You must live in a warmer part of Germany if you manage to grow figs!
I am happy I don't live in colder regions. I still haven't put a real coat (a thick wool cardigan is enough for now!). You remind me I should dry or freeze the balcony herbs too.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

-4C! So cold already? I wonder if you have a lot of snow in winter in your area.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: I am already wearing my winter coat and woolen cardigans and a scarf too.

Hiroyuki: year after year we have to face different types of winter. Most of all not that much freezing cold more nasty cold with rain and rain mixed with snow and only very little snow. And there are weeks in January when the wind comes from the east during a dry and sunny period. This is the worst: temperatures will drop to - 10 C, -12 C or -15 C. And actually the wind changed, coming from the east, so its getting colder now... But the last 2 years we had long and heavy snow falls too. Indeed during last december and january we had so much snow and freezing rain too that sometimes traffic and public transportation stopped and schools were closed.