Mittwoch, 30. November 2011

Just a hot pot

Today I cooked a soup again. Soups are best during winter and done in no time.

lots of vegetables, chicken meat ball and tofu


I actually strainend my back (I wonder how) and cannot stand or sit that long so doing some elaborate things in the kitchen is out of question. Just got a shot, some pills and massage and took a day off. Tomorrow I have to return to the office or the work load will pile up even more and I would have to regret it later on. Staying at home is impossible. But enough whining...


I just put into the soup what I had in storage: Mushrooms, broccoli, carrot, leek, daikon, sweet german turnip, chrysanthemum leaves, cabbage, tofu, japanese chicken meat balls (tsukune), noodles.
The broth was simply made with daishi,  soy sauce,  konbu, spiced up with chili paste and ginger and mirin.  First I cooked the more firm vegetables  just a little before the soft leaf vegetables went in so the ingredients got not too soft and out of shape. I cut a little tofu in cubes and added it to the soup 1 minute before serving.
For the tsukune I blended 2 half frozen chicken breast until chopped in an electric blender. I spiced the meat up with 1 teaspoon soy sauce, salt, ginger, chili, pepper and mixed it with 1 egg and some freshly ground white bread (1/2 slice to make them fluffier, starch make them more stiff). For a better binding I blended a little more chicken meat until creamy and rubbed it in. With the help of a spoon I shaped balls.  I simmered the chicken meat  balls in a little extra broth with soy sauce and added them to the soup just before serving.
Additional seasonings: roasted sesame oil and more indonesian chili paste

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

You strained your back and you made this elaborate dish?! Amazing! I like your careful timing of the addition of your ingredients. And tsukune! Mouth-watering!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Tsukune taste good and are done rather quickly. Would have been easier if they would sell ground chicken meat around here but they don't. One more japanese dish I like very much.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Kiki, I'm sorry to hear you are unwell. I hope the message helps!
It's funny; the "German turnip" was one of my favourite vegetables when I was a child. However I only ate it raw, as a snack. I think I'll buy it tomorrow. You have made me crave it!
I have the stock, tomorrow is the potato salad day!

Sissi hat gesagt…

Kiki, I have just made your potato salad. It is extraordinary! Unfortunately I have completely failed the consistency (even though my potatoes were not floury...) and the salad wasn't glossy. Thank you for this wonderful and very original recipe!